Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
Have Feather and tried to get it booting. It does seem to fit on my "64" meg device (which seems to suffer from the same marketing hype HD makers use and Windows reports as 62.0 megs of space).

It does not boot though. They seem to know this happens, as the feather website also says "If this doesn't work, try downloading the Debian “mbr” package and using that to install an MBR on the USB drive". Unfortunately, I don't have a Linux running that I can install packages into. Am I out of luck? Is there another way to make this thing bootable?
Try syslinux. It should not have problem booting USB devices. You can install it under either linux or DOS(not sure about Windows, may be too). Once it is on the device, it becomes the boot loader but syslinux only support FAT so you need to use the loopback fs trick for your linux, I believe that is what poorman's install is about.

Alternatively, you can try grub too.