I think It might be because windows monitors the CPU heat and shutsdown when it thinks it gets too high.
This doesn't require an answer but its an intresting observation.
On my notebook (2.4 gigahertz Celeron) SETI@Home runs for a little while on WinXP before the notebook fans start cranking up and it eventually over heats and shuts itself off. On the other hand when I run SETI (With Small GUI Frontend) on Knoppix it'll churn away for hours without any problems, possibly quicker output then the Windows version.
Does anyone know why Knoppix seems to handle running SETI better then Windows? Its rather intresting and wondered if it had to do with the software they provide or how Linux deals with applications.
-Jameson
EDIT: (This isn't intended as a "windows is superior" "linux is superior" kinda thing, personally I like both)
I think It might be because windows monitors the CPU heat and shutsdown when it thinks it gets too high.

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99
Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00
Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99
KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99
Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85
VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57
$8.00
Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42
$7.00
Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$33.72