Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: question about log file of sftp and SSH

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2

    question about log file of sftp and SSH

    HI,
    Recently I had installed knoppix in a computer (HD installation) which I like to use as a server. I am able to use the SSH and sftp to that computer from other windows computer. I am using the putty and psftp for that.

    My question is, where the log file is stored in knoppix. I like to know,
    (1) From which computer/ IP and
    (2) When that been accessed or loged in

    Is there any log file for SSH and sftp. I am a new user of SSH and sftp. I had read many manual/FAQ on net but I can't get any information regarding log file.

    Anybody know any good link about this?

    Looking forward.

    (I really fall in love with knoppix like you!)

    -dhaka

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    83
    On my system, sshd logs logins to /var/log/auth.log (but this is configurable via /etc/ssh/sshd_config and /etc/syslog.conf).

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2

    thanks

    Thanks markb for your nice support. But there is no IP in there. How I can config my system to log the IP no when a user log form other terminal.

    Looking forward

    Dhaka

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    83

    Re: thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by dhaka
    Thanks markb for your nice support. But there is no IP in there. How I can config my system to log the IP no when a user log form other terminal.
    Dhaka
    OK, use the standard "last" command. You may have to enable wtmp though (e.g. add a "touch /var/log/wtmp" in a boot startup script - maybe add it to /etc/init.d/sshd?).

Similar Threads

  1. swap file question
    By herbyweed in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-07-2005, 06:31 PM
  2. Question about KDE's file browser
    By yonatan in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-26-2004, 04:54 PM
  3. Puzzled beginner, question, file size v3.6
    By Ptarmigan in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-07-2004, 05:19 PM
  4. OpenOffice Question/problem with MS Excel file.
    By bongski55 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-05-2004, 10:45 PM
  5. Ext2 file system question
    By dan_the_v8man in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-21-2003, 02:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$239.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good

$261.99



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$319.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11

$374.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 2 14

Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 2 14" Laptop Core i5-1135G7 2.40GHz 8GB RAM 256GB SSD

$124.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T480s | i5-8350U | 256GB NVMe | 8GB RAM | W11 Pro | W/AC Adapter picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T480s | i5-8350U | 256GB NVMe | 8GB RAM | W11 Pro | W/AC Adapter

$169.99



Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 7 350 2026 ...

$679.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14s Laptop 14” Laptop Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$249.99