Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Updating Menus in Knoppix 3.4?

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    39

    Updating Menus in Knoppix 3.4?

    Hi I have installed Knopix to my hard disk (Knoppix-Myth). Basically it's knoppix but with MythTV already installed.

    Anyway I installed KDE and a few other things and so far everything looks good.

    The problem is that the version of Knoppix I have isn't properly updating my menus in KDE for applications I install. Does anybody know of a working script anywhere that will automatically update my menus after every boot? It seems like it should be a simple thing to do. I mean all it needs to do is to use whatever the file it is that tells apt-get what files are installed and under what catagories and update the existing menu catagories accordingly. How hard can it be?

    GJ

    Edit: I found a file called update-menus-kde.tar.gz here - but it was for KDE 3.2. Anyway it didn't seem to work too well as it quit with a bunch of errors. The ouput of running the script is as follows:

    Code:
    root@box1:/home/raid517/update-menus-kde/update-menus-kde# ./update-menus-knoppix
    ./update-menus-knoppix: line 18: update-menus: command not found
    ./update-menus-knoppix: line 93: /etc/menu-methods/freedesktop-desktop-entry-spec-apps: No such file or directory
    ./update-menus-knoppix: line 94: /etc/menu-methods/freedesktop-desktop-entry-spec-dirs: No such file or directory
    ./update-menus-knoppix: line 95: /etc/menu-methods/kdelibs-bin: No such file ordirectory
    cat: /var/lib/kde/debian-dirs/*.directory: No such file or directory
    ./update-menus-knoppix: line 124: /var/lib/kde/debian-dirs/*.directory: Datei oder Verzeichnis nicht gefunden
    ./update-menus-knoppix: line 124: /var/lib/kde/debian-dirs/*.directory: No existe el fichero o el directorio
    Can't open /var/lib/kde/debian-dirs/*.directory: No existe el fichero o el directorio.
    root@box1:/home/raid517/update-menus-kde/update-menus-kde#
    Is there any way to fix this? Like I said it would be very nice to have a script that would automatically update my menus after every reboot. But I have no clue how to achieve this.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Code:
    man update-menus
    update-menus - generate Debian menu system
    Issue it as user not root.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    39
    I issued both of those commands (literally) but all I got were error messages saying "command not found".

    GJ

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    Sorry if my post was confusing. The command is update-menus.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    39
    This isn't making much sense at all, sorry... I issued the commands like you suggested and the output is as follws:

    Code:
    :~$ update-menus
    bash: update-menus: command not found
    raid517@box1:~$ man update-menus
    No manual entry for update-menus
    raid517@box1:~$ update-menus - generate Debian menu system
    bash: update-menus: command not found
    raid517@box1:~$
    That second line certainly isn't a Linux command.

    I tried just doing update-menus - but I got a similar output.

    What gives?

    GJ

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    update-menus most certainly is a Linux command. Why it doesn't work on your machine I have no idea.

    man update-menus

    Code:
    $ which update-menus
    /usr/bin/update-menus

Similar Threads

  1. Updating MySQL in Knoppix
    By PlatinumPlus in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-06-2005, 10:17 AM
  2. Upgrading kdelibs4 on knoppix 3.8.1, lost my menus
    By katana5 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-05-2005, 07:47 PM
  3. Removing Knoppix menus?
    By dawynn in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-14-2004, 12:28 PM
  4. Updating knoppix
    By lussac in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-20-2003, 03:12 PM
  5. Updating nessus plugins in KNOPPIX
    By ehoward777 in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-24-2003, 03:36 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$155.00



pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$184.99



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$298.00



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance

$155.75



Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J picture

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J

$40.00



TWO (2) Firewalla Gold Pro Devices - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall picture

TWO (2) Firewalla Gold Pro Devices - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall

$1444.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN

$229.99



OPNsense Firewall Router VMware Edge 640 Atom C3758 32GB ECC RAM 256GB SSD 10Gbe picture

OPNsense Firewall Router VMware Edge 640 Atom C3758 32GB ECC RAM 256GB SSD 10Gbe

$284.99



SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED picture

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED

$999.99