Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Need help installing Nvidia display driver

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17

    Need help installing Nvidia display driver

    Hello, I was wondering, why isn't it just as easy to install a nvidia display driver like in the live cd mode? I just installed knoppix on my hardrive but I can't figure out how to install the nvidia driver manually I need to shutdown X server but I'm afraid I cant get it back to run linux normally...

    Can anybody guide me?

    Thanks in advance...

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    When you get the option to log it, select log in by command line (or something to that extent)

    Then change to a differnt runlevel (ctrl-alt-F#)

    and try from there.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900
    I don't know how to install the nvidia driver on a Knoppix hdd install. I do know however that Kanotix makes a great Debian SID installation and to install the nvidia driver (whichever version you want) you simply do this:
    Code:
    CATL+ALT+F1
    install-kernel-source-vanilla.sh
    install-nvidia-6629-debian.sh
    That's it! The scripts will download and patch the kernel source for your kernel, download the nvidia driver, build it and restart X for you.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portland, OR USA
    Posts
    568
    I was wondering about that -- has anyone used (or modified, then used) Kano's script in order to install the nvidia driver on a Knoppix hard disk install?

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17
    Hi again, thanks for helping me guys,

    mzilikazi gave a good hint, with that I went on investigation and this is how I installed the nvidia driver,

    go to kano.mipooh.net download the driver you want, download it into your home directory for me that is /home/John

    after it's done downloading press ctrl+alt+f1

    you will find yourself in the console and type su to become root, input your password

    then type:
    cd /home/John

    sh install-nvidia-6629-debian.sh

    it will automatiscly shutdown X install the driver and restart X again, voila, driver installed,

    weedje

Similar Threads

  1. nvidia driver mess up display at logout
    By parj in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-23-2006, 08:57 PM
  2. NVIDIA Driver Installation
    By Krogen in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 08-19-2005, 08:16 PM
  3. Nvidia driver conflict
    By nvgringo in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-05-2004, 01:59 PM
  4. nvidia driver ?
    By nIght in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 10-03-2003, 09:28 PM
  5. Nvidia driver in hdd...
    By aryakori in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-26-2003, 06:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$699.98



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$316.61



Gaming PC Desktop picture

Gaming PC Desktop

$1000.00



1TB 2TB 4TB Portable SSD Type-C External Hard Drive USB 3.1 High Speed PC picture

1TB 2TB 4TB Portable SSD Type-C External Hard Drive USB 3.1 High Speed PC

$15.99



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1690.40



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot

$129.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Western Digital 1TB 3.5

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive

$34.99