Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: WOW - Everything works EXCEPT NO sounds? Help please

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7

    WOW - Everything works EXCEPT NO sounds? Help please

    First time using Knoppix/Linux, with the Knoppix V3.6 live CD, WITHOUT doing anything on my own I can access the web, view movie and play mp3 files....except there is NO sounds...(no sound also during the loading of desktop....)???

    I tried Knoppix alsa, not working....

    Can anyone help me? I 've Asus P4P800SE motherboard with (AC97) ADI 1985 on board sound.

    Thanks for your help in advance.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    52
    You could try command, soundconfig (needs to be root), to see if knoppix has detected your sound card. If that does not help, you should post your output from lspci -v.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7
    Knoppix DID detect my on board sound card as something like...intel8x0, but just no sounds? or do I need to enable the sounds somewhere?

    I also tried the Ubuntu 4.10 live CD and I can hear sounds upon loading the backgound screen, but I prefer Knoppix being the video player is SO much better/clearer and the NIC card works flawlessly whereas with Ubuntu I could not even play any mp3/video files at all but it got sounds (upon loading the welcome screen). This is really driving me crazy, both live CDs uses the same Linux thing and yet......

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    143
    How curious. I was looking for an answer to sound problems similar to this today and eventually found this thread:

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2831

    It looks kind of good but have not tried it myself yet. I am not sure whether this thread covers LiveCD usage, hard disk install or both.

    It's worth a look.

    ICPUG

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    32
    ok, I had the same problem on the EXACT SAME MOBO.

    The Ac97 is supported, but for some reason (As it being SO damn popular) it doesnt work without the following.

    Heres the thread I started, and got the problem solved.

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...937&highlight=

    type this cheatcode at bootup,

    knoppix26 alsa=intel8x0

    ^Exactly like that at the boot prompt

    should work

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    I get my sound working after enabling it in the control center by choosing artsplay as the external player. It seems to work in 3.6, 3.7 and in kanotix. I have the exact same setup also and that's all I have to do.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7
    Thanks greygooseplz, ++++++++++++++

    After several days of NO sounds with live CD, I finally got it with your magic line Knoppix26 alsa=intel8x0 !

    Everything is looking good now, NIC card/Printer/Movie Player(Xine)/XMMS(Sounds) all working....

    I am ready to install Knoppix on my HD and just wondering how do I do that with the live CD and do I have to issue the command Knoppix26 alsa=intel8x0 at evry boot up? ( should I install V3.7 instead of V3.6 ?)

    Thanks again for all your help/feedback.

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    32
    Thank Markus too He was great and spent the time to help me! knows his stuff!

    [edit]
    Enter these commands in the konsole after youve booted
    [/edit]
    Type ,

    knoppix-installer
    maybe
    su knoppix-installer
    or
    sudo knoppix-installer

    Into the command line

    Have you already setup your partitions/or know what to do?

    In knoppix you can use qtparted, its a GUI and easy to use.

    type
    qtparted
    in the command line
    Im pretty sure you have to use sudo/su with that (Sudo/su gives you root acess for the current terminal.)


    ohh, When I installed mine to the HDD I didnt have to use the alsa=intel8x0 again, for some reason. Just install from your system after using the cheatcode, I think its remembered during install-not positive though....

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    7
    Thanks for your help again, the installation went smoothly, but for some strange reasons Xine would play all .avi files fine but when launching .mpg/mpeg files, XMMS would launch itself and I could hear the sound from the movie and Xine would also launch but no movie? Do I need to install codecs for Xine to play .mpg/mpeg files? or what other movie player/s option do I have?

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    32
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerb
    Thanks for your help again, the installation went smoothly, but for some strange reasons Xine would play all .avi files fine but when launching .mpg/mpeg files, XMMS would launch itself and I could hear the sound from the movie and Xine would also launch but no movie? Do I need to install codecs for Xine to play .mpg/mpeg files? or what other movie player/s option do I have?
    http://xinehq.de/index.php/faq ---Xine frequently asked questions

    "I can hear the audio - but I don't see a picture!"

    Probably your hardware is simply too slow - see above for some hints on how to speed things up.

    Another possibility is that you using a buggy Xv driver, see the next questions.

    I only see a blue (or green or black) video image most of the time.

    You are either watching a very boring video (just kidding) or you are suffering from a bug in the Xorg 6.7 implementation of X11.

    The workaround is to add the line

    Option "XaaNoOffscreenPixmaps"

    in the Device section of your X server configuration (usually /etc/X11/xorg.conf or /etc/X11/XF86Config).


    Maybe that could be the problem?

    As for XMMS starting also, you might try setting Xine to be the default media playerand/or set Xmms not to play any media by defaqult.I think both players have point and click configs.


    I use Mplayer
    http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/dload.html

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. event sounds only as root
    By Xwrapper3 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-26-2006, 11:26 AM
  2. how to enable all sounds for all applicatins??
    By ramaswamyps in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-07-2006, 05:17 AM
  3. Hearing multiple sounds at once.
    By wk1989 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-26-2005, 03:52 AM
  4. System sounds but no internet sounds.
    By bigrobot in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-12-2005, 01:52 AM
  5. Systems sounds always on
    By pooh_ in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-13-2004, 09:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer picture

Refurbished Working 1960's Heathkit EC-1 Educational Electronic Analog Computer

$2999.99



Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503 picture

Vintage George A Philbrick Researches Tube Analog Computer Module Serial 005503

$109.99



1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates picture

1969 EAI TR-20 Analog Computer Programming PACE Philbrick Electronic Associates

$36.00



Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare picture

Vintage Goodyear Electronic GEDA Analog Computer Plug -- Extremely Rare

$179.00



Retro Working Macintosh SE SE30 Analog Board 820-0206-B 630-0147 w/Power Supply picture

Retro Working Macintosh SE SE30 Analog Board 820-0206-B 630-0147 w/Power Supply

$107.95



Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board picture

Vintage 1970’s Analogic MP2110 10-Bit A/D Converter Computer Circuit Board

$24.99



Vintage Donner Scientific Analog Computer Patch Cords Banana Plugs & Resistor picture

Vintage Donner Scientific Analog Computer Patch Cords Banana Plugs & Resistor

$100.00



DOS Joystick Gameport to USB Converter - Adapter (NEW, 3-axis, 2-button) picture

DOS Joystick Gameport to USB Converter - Adapter (NEW, 3-axis, 2-button)

$49.95



VINTAGE Apple Unidisk Analog Card - Circa 1986 | P/N 820-0190-A picture

VINTAGE Apple Unidisk Analog Card - Circa 1986 | P/N 820-0190-A

$22.67



VINTAGE 1970s SKIT Scientific Kit for Computer & Electronics SEALED INSIDE Rare picture

VINTAGE 1970s SKIT Scientific Kit for Computer & Electronics SEALED INSIDE Rare

$380.00