-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Durand Hicks
I normally type startx --:1 in the chrooted environment without any modifications whatsoever. The window should display in the eighth virtual terminal (vt

. As for the authentication issue, turn off x authentication in /etc/X11/xdm/xdm-conf, and you won't have to mess with xhost or xauth.If you use kdm or gdm, they each have a config file in /etc/X11/kdm/kdm-config or /etc/X11/gdm/gdm/gdm-config, respectively. Xauth uses authentication from your current enviroment, i think, so it might have flowed thru to the chroot enviroment, but I'm not totally sure of this. I normally turn it off at both ends to prevent this sort of thing for troubleshooting purposes. When done, you might want to turn it back on, if you desire the security of your X sessions.
Thanks for the info. My situation is a bit odd. I started a VNC server from the hosting rootfs and vnc into it. Then I chroot into another rootfs and tried to run X apps there. The hosting rootfs in this case don't even have a session manager(xdm etc.). What is even more complicated, I need to "su" into a normal user in this chrooted environment first before running the X apps.
This whole authentication system of X is still very confusing to me. I googled around and it seems that I can mount --bind /tmp into the chroot so as to directly use the X socket created there.
At the moment, I just bypass all this and start the vnc server within the chrooted environment, but still learning how to do it as that seems to be a pretty standard requirment of chrooting into other rootfs(under X) and run X apps, so a proper solution will help in the future.
Similar Threads
-
By Sephiroth? in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 04-25-2006, 12:55 AM
-
By dvryknopper in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-31-2006, 05:56 AM
-
By gursharnsingh in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-15-2004, 09:38 PM
-
By rdmelin in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 4
Last Post: 08-20-2003, 02:27 PM
-
By sminotti in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-07-2003, 07:46 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots
$745.00

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO
$248.00

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64Bit 16 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed
$94.95