-
Second drive kills boot?
Am trying to consolidate my setup downstairs, and to move the family from LinSpire to straight Debian via Knoppix.
As part of the consolidation I've moved my external firewire drives onto the downstairs machine (Knoppix supports Software RAID, right?), and then added a second HD to the same IDE cable that my boot disk is on.
Here is where things get wierd. I have made sure the boot disk is setup as Master (correct jumper) and the other disk as Slave (correct jumper). I "think" I've got the cable right with the end connector on the Master, and the middle connector on the Slave.
I can boot off the CD just fine, and see both drives, and read from both ok. I can do the install to the boot drive just fine. But when I reboot I get "Operating System Not Found". However, if I open up the box and disconnect the Slave drive, then Knoppix boots just fine from the boot drive. So obviously the install wrote to the Master drive just fine, but something about the Slave drive stops it from booting properly on the reboot.
Any ideas what I could be doing wrong? I'd like to still have both drives, but opening and closing the box is getting tedious, and once my RAID is setup the other space won't be all that necessary...
Thanks in advance,
Ewan
Similar Threads
-
By DeChriz in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-04-2006, 06:22 PM
-
By TheSpider in forum General Support
Replies: 13
Last Post: 01-13-2005, 11:22 PM
-
By listman in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-02-2004, 07:45 AM
-
By schnarff in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-22-2003, 04:05 AM
-
By Robert Frommer in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 03-07-2003, 01:51 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...
$9.64

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch
$46.99

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch
$49.99

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch
$129.99

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch
$19.99

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W
$39.99

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern
$15.25

Arista DCS-7010T-48-R 48P 1GbE 4P 10GbE SFP+ RA Switch with rack mounts
$69.00

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play
$31.99

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks
$224.95