-
Junior Member
registered user
Install in external HD, but with cd boot option
Hi,
I have an external USB HDD (basically, an old IBM 13 gig Travelstar that I put in a casing) that I would like to install knoppix in. Before I do, however, i'd be grateful if you guys could clarify some points for me. Here goes...
1. So I boot knoppix and run "sudo knoppix-installer". Now, what I'm looking for is a persistent and upgradeable installation in my removable HDD that I can carry around and run in other computers with USB ports. Thus, among the install options, perhaps it is best to choose the "simple setup" (the third option in the GUI menu), that has the debian style setup as well as knoppix's autodetection at boot.
Question: How persistent is this setup exactly? Will this run on a ramdisk uncompressed from the HDD, or off of the hard drive itself? I need the latter.
2. Here's the thing. Once the install is complete, I guess that the program
will run "lilo" on the MBR of the drive. This will boot ONLY if the motherboard/BIOS of the host machine can boot off of USB ports. Now, my machine can, but I'm aware that there are many other older machines whose motherboards do not support USB boots. I have read that it is possible to craft a boot cd that boots it's kernel and then "transfers" the rest of the boot process to the hard drive. If there is a knoppix cheatcode for this, than please let me know. If not, then if there is a HOWTO somewheres (I already googled) that instructs on how to create a remastered cd with scripts that accomplish this, please link me to it and that'd be fine.
To make my goal clearer, basically I want to do with my knoppix cd/USB HDD what Mandrake is selling with it's Globetrotter version (see http://www.mandrakesoft.com/products/globetrotter and http://www.mandrakesoft.com/products/globetrotter/faq ), only with Knoppix instead of Mandrake. It has a bootable HDD as well as a boot cd for systems that don't support usb boot. It would be nice if I could do this myself.
3. Finally, after all this has been done and I have succesfully booted. What should I do to update the system? Does this default install come with apt-get/dpkg's and stuff, so that I may config the relevant files & just do "apt-get update/upgrade" and be done with it? I ask because I want to install gnome, firewall GUI's, latest firefox and other misc stuff also.
Thanks in advance, and do enlighten me as to what to do exactly.
Regards,
AR
Deutsche Übersetzung:
Hallo,
habe ich einen externen USB HDD (im Allgemeinen, ein altes gig Travelstar IBM 13, das ich in ein Gehäuse einsetze), diesen ich möchte knoppix in anbringen. Bevor ich jedoch würde ich dankbar sein, wenn Sie Halteseile etwas Punkte für mich erklären konnten. Geht hier..., 1. So lade ich knoppix auf und lasse "sudoKnoppixinstallateur" laufen. Jetzt was ich suche, ist eine hartnäckige und ausbaufähige Installation in meinem entfernbaren HDD, das ich herum tragen und in andere Computer mit USB-Toren laufen kann. So unter den anbringenwahlen, möglicherweise ist er am besten, die "einfache Einstellung" zu wählen (die dritte Wahl im GUI-Menü), die die debian Art hat, die sowie autodetection der knoppixs an der Aufladung gegründet wird. Frage: Ist diese Einstellung genau wie hartnäckig? Werden Sie dieser Durchlauf auf einem ramdisk, das vom HDD oder weg vom harten Antrieb selbst uncompressed ist? Ich benötige das letzte. 2. Ist hier die Sache. Einmal ist anbringen, ich schätzen komplett, daß das Programm "lilo" auf dem MBR des Antriebs laufen läßt. Dieses lädt auf, NUR wenn das motherboard/BIOS der Wirtsmaschine von den USB-Toren weg aufladen kann. Jetzt beachten meine Maschinendose, aber ich, daß es viele andere ältere Maschinen gibt deren Motherboards nicht USB-Aufladungen stützen. Ich habe gelesen, daß es möglich ist, ein Aufladungscd in Handarbeit zu machen, das Aufladungen es Kern ist und dann den Rest des Aufladungsprozesses auf den harten Antrieb "bringt". Wenn es ein knoppixcheatcode für dieses gibt, als informieren Sie mich bitte. Wenn nicht, dann, wenn verbinden es somewheres eines HOWTO (ich googled bereits), gibt das anweist auf, wie man a remastered Cd mit Indexen verursacht, die dieses vollenden, mich bitte mit ihm und that'd ist fein. um mein Ziel freier zu bilden, im Allgemeinen möchte ich mit meinem knoppix cd/USB HDD tun, was Mandrake mit ihm ist Version Globetrotter verkauft (sehen Sie [ url]http://www.mandrakesoft.com/products/globetrotter[/url ] und [ url]http://www.mandrakesoft.com/products/globetrotter/faq[/url ]), nur mit Knoppix anstelle von Mandrake. Es hat ein bootable HDD sowie ein Aufladungscd für Systeme, die nicht usb-Aufladung stützen. Es würde nett sein, wenn ich dies tun könnte selbst. 3. Schließlich nachdem alles dieses getan worden ist und ich haben succesfully aufgeladen. Was sollte ich tun, um das System zu aktualisieren? Bringt diese Rückstellung gekommen mit apt-get/dpkg's und Material an, damit ich Config die relevanten Akten u. gerade seien "update/upgrade" passend-erhalten Sie und mit ihm getan Sie kann? Ich bitte, weil ich gnome, Brandmauer-GUI, neuestes firefox und anderes Verschiedenes Material auch anbringen möchte. Dankt im voraus und erleuchtet mich hinsichtlich was, genau zu tun. Respekt, AR
Similar Threads
-
By ooov in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-15-2005, 07:55 PM
-
By helios17 in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 11-27-2004, 06:27 AM
-
By drevil in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 05-28-2004, 10:00 PM
-
By Kruemel in forum Laptops
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-17-2003, 09:34 PM
-
By redsea2002 in forum Ideas
Replies: 3
Last Post: 01-05-2003, 01:38 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro
$81.99

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00

Lot of 12 Non-Working Samsung Galaxy Tablets with BAD LCD for Parts
$381.38

Samsung 870 EVO 4TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-77E4T0B/AM)
$310.00

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2
$81.99

Samsung PM961 512GB PCIe Gen 3x4 NVMe 2280 M.2 SSD MZVLW512HMJP-000D1
$60.00

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4
$93.99

Samsung 8GB DDR5 5600MHz SODIMM Laptop RAM PC5-44800 CL46 M425R1GB4BB0-CWM
$99.99

Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e SM-T727U 10.5" 64GB WiFi + LTE
$89.99

New Samsung 512GB FIT Plus USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-A Flash Drive MUF-512AB/AM NEW
$120.00