-

Originally Posted by
mpeden
I decided to try ANOTHER HD install and it is booting and the internet is working. Don't know what I might have done differently. Connection is DHCP. Let me know if you disagree but no real reason for DHCP over static other than not having to know mask, dns address etc. I have multiple XP boxes and want to gradually move to Linux if I find I can live without my XP apps. You mentioned Kanotix which I looked at while install taking place. Some posts make issue with Knoppix being made for CD install and as though another would be better HD install. Debian (I realize Debian is pretty much Knoppix install), Kanotix any better than Knoppix? I really appreciate your input and will file them away as I have more machines to move to the ix world. I did 2 1/2 years of Unix admin about 20 years ago but remember very little other that I enjoyed it. No GUI then.
Thanks again,
map
If you want a nice distro to try as a nice 'Live-CD-with-easy-HD-install' try MEPIS. Its commercial but you can try for free and register if you like. I have always had kernel panic trying to boot Kanotix, whereas all other live CDs have worked perfectly!
While Knoppix was my first foray into Linux; my first HD install is MEPIS because I too heard about issues to do with HD install and I wanted something simple as a novice. MEPIS is excellent with a similarly helpful community. It is really easy to install. I did it 
It has great hardware detection, and similar wireless support as Knoppix. If you can get it to work under Knoppix I guess you can get it to work under MEPIS. I did with my Belkin cards under ndiswrapper.
You can download the iso from here: http://iso.linuxquestions.org/version.php?version=92
Its home site is:
http://www.simplymepis.org/
You can also download from here at a price or get the CD sent to you.
It has a useful community fora too.
Another excellent community site is:
http://mepislovers.com/
I can certainly recommend MEPIS. I doubt it will ever come off my hard-drive, notwithstanding I will eventually try other distros. I have even forked out cash to support it ...
Regards,
Grant D. Vallance
Similar Threads
-
By blackbird in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 12-28-2004, 01:05 AM
-
By mpeden in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 11-29-2004, 11:17 AM
-
By Berserkier in forum Networking
Replies: 5
Last Post: 07-01-2004, 10:29 PM
-
By tkrishna in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 05-11-2004, 05:36 AM
-
By unclebulgaria in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 10-17-2003, 07:01 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM
$1499.00

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W
$285.97

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001
$245.00

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$524.99

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E6-2699 v3 | 128gb RAM | 2x 1600W
$899.99

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM
$699.00