Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: testing iso-image without burning cd

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    France
    Posts
    8

    testing iso-image without burning cd

    Hello,

    can I test my remastered iso-image without burning a cdrom ? Qemu works, but it's very limited.

    Is there a way to copy remastered KNOPPIX files to a partition and then boot on it just as on a cdrom, by a boot loader or from floppy ? I see my version of KNOPPIX working with Xnest, but I don't see the normal boot-process from cdrom and I can't really test that.

    I only have an old cd-burner for cd-r and I cannot burn a new cd each time I want to test my work.

    thanks for help
    Klaus

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    You could try saving the /KNOPPIX folder to the root of a drive and booting with a normal knoppix cd with the command

    knoppix fromhd=/dev/hdaX

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Tragic City, Michigan
    Posts
    13
    Knoppix 3.4 and newer has a "bootfrom" cheat code for example "bootfrom=/dev/hda1/Knoppix.iso" the CD you use to boot from must have the same kernel version as the one you are trying to boot.I found this info in the "Knoppix Hacks" book by Kyle Rankin I recently purchased,well worth the money spent.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    900

    Re: testing iso-image without burning cd

    Quote Originally Posted by colonius

    Is there a way to copy remastered KNOPPIX files to a partition and then boot on it just as on a cdrom, by a boot loader or from floppy ? I see my version of KNOPPIX working with Xnest, but I don't see the normal boot-process from cdrom and I can't really test that.
    I often boot the compressed KNOPPIX file from hdd. Simply put KNOPPIX and your kernel (and initrd if you use one) on the same partition and add an entry to your boot loader something like so:
    Code:
    title BH09 /dev/hda7
    kernel (hd0,6)/boot/vmlinuz ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us vga=791 nomce alsa xmodule=fbdev hdb=scsi
    initrd (hd0,6)/boot/miniroot.gz

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    58
    oh sorry my solution was alredy posted

Similar Threads

  1. problems burning pc knoppix image with mac os x
    By uniflator in forum General Support
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-14-2011, 02:19 PM
  2. Making f2,f3 screens and testing them without burning them
    By usha panwar in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-10-2006, 06:50 PM
  3. Burning .iso image using Roxio's Easy CD Creator
    By BearCreek in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-31-2004, 05:33 PM
  4. Burning ISO Image Problem
    By William Denyer in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-09-2003, 02:33 AM
  5. Testing and booting my remastered image before burning it
    By astormchaser in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-22-2003, 12:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G/B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI for Inter 4thCPU

$45.00



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P picture

MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P

$101.99



GIGABYTE X570 UD AM4 motherboard +AMD Ryzen 9 3900x CPU+Cooler picture

GIGABYTE X570 UD AM4 motherboard +AMD Ryzen 9 3900x CPU+Cooler

$250.00



MSI B460M-A Pro DDR4 LGA 1200 Micro ATX Motherboard 10th Gen picture

MSI B460M-A Pro DDR4 LGA 1200 Micro ATX Motherboard 10th Gen

$59.99