Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: trouble fish:// ing?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256

    trouble fish:// ing?

    I had to back-up my home as I messed-up my knoppix hdinstall and needed to reinstall the KNOPPIX CD with knoppix-installer. So I fished to another hdd on my home network and dragged and dropped all my home dirs on this PC to the other. OK, no problem.

    So, I reinstalled KNOPPIX on this box and tried to reverse the process by copying the backed-up files from the other PC using fish again. The problem is that now I can only do so one file at a time or fish stalls out!

    Anyone else have a problem with fish? Am I missing something? I've done this before with other PCs and all was a ok....

    Regards,
    AJG

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    A bit of guess here but you need to allow icmp which fish uses to check the connection.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    I enabled ssh on both PCs using

    update-rc.d ssh defaults

    shouldn't that set it all up to work?

    TIA,
    AJG

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    I enabled ssh on both PCs using

    update-rc.d ssh defaults

    shouldn't that set it all up to work?
    It should.
    Have you checked if the keys are generated on the server? If not do:
    su
    ssh-keygen -t rsa -f /etc/ssh/ssh_host_key
    ssh-keygen -t rsa -f /etc/ssh/ssh_host_rsa_key
    ssh-keygen -t rsa -f /etc/ssh/ssh_host_dsa_key


    You might want to ssh in the first time from the shell with ssh login@ip_or_hostname as I'm not sure how fish accepts the keys, a popup perhaps?

    EDIT: Hmm, the keys are probably fine if you can connect. Why I asked about icmp is that I once had fish stalling like you said and the solution was to accept ping in the router.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    OK, the keys are probably OK as I can sftp and ssh from shell. I can even fish from konqueror but I can only copy one file at a time, not a whole dir or home fir for that matter!

    What can I do with icmp, this is new to me.

    BTW, I had reinstalled both these machines with KNOPPIX 3.6 2004.0816 and used update-rc.d before this problem started!

    TIA,
    AJG

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    OK, the keys are probably OK as I can sftp and ssh from shell. I can even fish from konqueror but I can only copy one file at a time, not a whole dir or home fir for that matter!

    What can I do with icmp, this is new to me.

    BTW, I had reinstalled both these machines with KNOPPIX 3.6 2004.0816 and used update-rc.d before this problem started!

    TIA,
    AJG
    I think you can ONLY fish from konqueror. Isn't fish a KDE protocol? Outside of Konq you have to use ssh.
    I don't know why you can only copy one file at a time, normally I can copy multiple files or directories with fish in konqueror using drag'n'drop.
    Besides regenerating the host keys as above, the other cause of problems with fish is with the known_hosts file. If fish refuses to connect (usually just gives an error 'unable to connect to <ip address>'), just delete the hidden file /home/user/.ssh/known_hosts & retry, fish will give a warning message about an unknown host then recreate the known_hosts file when you confirm to proceed.

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Quote Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
    OK, the keys are probably OK as I can sftp and ssh from shell. I can even fish from konqueror but I can only copy one file at a time, not a whole dir or home fir for that matter!
    Ok, forget about the keys then.

    What can I do with icmp, this is new to me.
    icmp is a protocol used by ping, although I think fish needs mtu which still goes over icmp. Have you looked in the router for any blocking of icmp/ping or tried pinging the computers?
    Also do you run software firewalls, if yes: disable them just for testing.

    BTW, I had reinstalled both these machines with KNOPPIX 3.6 2004.0816 and used update-rc.d before this problem started!
    You mean it worked before you used update-rc or before reinstalling?

    Just to rule out fish, try WinSCP from a windows box.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    I mean everything worked fine before reinstalling.

    However, as far as I recall, originally I installed every PC the same way as I reinstalled them now! In other words, knoppix-installer from a liveCD boot of KNOPPIX 3.6 and then rebooting as root to update-rc.d ssh defaults not to mention editting lilo.conf for dual boot and using netcardconfig to setup DHCP.

    I do all this with all my hdinstalled dual boot PCs as I find ssh, sftp and fish (in konqueror) very useful (better than telnet and ftp, BTW)! I never had a problem like this....

    TIA,
    AJG

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Sorry to say but if pinging worked and the install was just like before, I'm out of ideas.
    Perhaps do a testdisk at bootup to rule out a faulty cd.

    One thing more to look at is:
    cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_echo_ignore_all /proc/sys/net/ipv4/icmp_echo_ignore_broadcasts
    You should get two zeros as output.

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    I give up! I don't know what's wrong with this dubm thing. I got the 2 zeros, BTW. I'll just refer to my backups on an as needed basis....

    BTW, maybe I should have set-up /home in a separate partition to begin with! I've never done that. Is it hard to do?

    TIA,
    AJG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. problems with fish://
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-28-2006, 04:33 PM
  2. fish://
    By jon267 in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-05-2005, 10:35 AM
  3. SSH - fish, sftp - will settle for anything
    By nishtya in forum Networking
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 09-22-2004, 07:24 PM
  4. fish://[email protected] vs. sftp://[email protected]
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-02-2003, 01:10 AM
  5. got no fish?
    By RoadKill in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-01-2003, 10:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



USB 2.0 Flash Drive 16GB 32GB 64GB 128GB Thumb Memory Stick Multi Pack Bulk Lot picture

USB 2.0 Flash Drive 16GB 32GB 64GB 128GB Thumb Memory Stick Multi Pack Bulk Lot

$1082.99



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99



Wholesale Sale 10/ 30/ 50/100pcs 256MB Metal Swivel USB Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale Sale 10/ 30/ 50/100pcs 256MB Metal Swivel USB Flash Drive Memory Stick

$165.90