Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: 120GB HDD install??

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Austin TX
    Posts
    24

    120GB HDD install??

    I have 3 part question.

    1. I have a 120 GB HDD 40 GB partition already has XP installed on it, I am trying to install knoppix on the remaining space on the HDD. Installation goes fine but when I reboot, lilo doesint load, all I see in 111111 on my screen.

    2. I want to install grub as default boot loader instead of lilo, how do I chose this at install time? The knx-hdinstall does not give me a choice.

    3. How do I create separate partitions for /, /usr, /var etc instead of the / and swap defaults?

    Thanks a ton in advance.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: 120GB HDD install??

    Quote Originally Posted by manjo
    I have 3 part question.

    1. I have a 120 GB HDD 40 GB partition already has XP installed on it, I am trying to install knoppix on the remaining space on the HDD. Installation goes fine but when I reboot, lilo doesint load, all I see in 111111 on my screen.
    Sounds like you chose not to install LILO to MBR. Boot with the floppy - edit LILO to point to the correct partition (of course you'll need to add XP in there too). and then re-run LILO /sbin/lilo

    2. I want to install grub as default boot loader instead of lilo, how do I chose this at install time?
    You can't

    3. How do I create separate partitions for /, /usr, /var etc instead of the / and swap defaults?
    with a partitioning program. I prefer cfdisk.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Austin TX
    Posts
    24
    when I do a hdd install of knoppix, at the end it fails writing lilo to MBR. I tried editing lillo.conf and rerunnig lilo, still same result. Seems like knoppix cannot handle hdd of size 120GB.

Similar Threads

  1. Western Digital 120GB(part:3xFAT32) not write
    By ATI in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-31-2004, 05:14 PM
  2. Samsung 1204H (120GB) and Kernel 2.6: no partitions
    By bernd_b in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-12-2004, 12:20 PM
  3. Knoppix doesn't recognize 120GB hard drive.
    By dragon in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-16-2003, 03:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11

$374.99



Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Core i5-1135G7@2.40GHz Laptop picture

Lenovo Thinkpad E15 Gen 2 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Intel Core [email protected] Laptop

$220.36



Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga Gen 6 14

Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Yoga Gen 6 14" 16GB, Storm Gray

$356.80



Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070

$1469.00



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD

$219.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$398.99



Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 7 350 2026 ...

$679.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo Thinkpad T590 Gen1 8th Core i7 32GB 512GB Touchscreen RJ45 Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo Thinkpad T590 Gen1 8th Core i7 32GB 512GB Touchscreen RJ45 Win 11 Pro

$339.00