Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: 120GB HDD install??

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Austin TX
    Posts
    24

    120GB HDD install??

    I have 3 part question.

    1. I have a 120 GB HDD 40 GB partition already has XP installed on it, I am trying to install knoppix on the remaining space on the HDD. Installation goes fine but when I reboot, lilo doesint load, all I see in 111111 on my screen.

    2. I want to install grub as default boot loader instead of lilo, how do I chose this at install time? The knx-hdinstall does not give me a choice.

    3. How do I create separate partitions for /, /usr, /var etc instead of the / and swap defaults?

    Thanks a ton in advance.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: 120GB HDD install??

    Quote Originally Posted by manjo
    I have 3 part question.

    1. I have a 120 GB HDD 40 GB partition already has XP installed on it, I am trying to install knoppix on the remaining space on the HDD. Installation goes fine but when I reboot, lilo doesint load, all I see in 111111 on my screen.
    Sounds like you chose not to install LILO to MBR. Boot with the floppy - edit LILO to point to the correct partition (of course you'll need to add XP in there too). and then re-run LILO /sbin/lilo

    2. I want to install grub as default boot loader instead of lilo, how do I chose this at install time?
    You can't

    3. How do I create separate partitions for /, /usr, /var etc instead of the / and swap defaults?
    with a partitioning program. I prefer cfdisk.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Austin TX
    Posts
    24
    when I do a hdd install of knoppix, at the end it fails writing lilo to MBR. I tried editing lillo.conf and rerunnig lilo, still same result. Seems like knoppix cannot handle hdd of size 120GB.

Similar Threads

  1. Western Digital 120GB(part:3xFAT32) not write
    By ATI in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-31-2004, 05:14 PM
  2. Samsung 1204H (120GB) and Kernel 2.6: no partitions
    By bernd_b in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-12-2004, 12:20 PM
  3. Knoppix doesn't recognize 120GB hard drive.
    By dragon in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 06-16-2003, 03:42 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



LG PCS200S Pro:Centric Server Hospitality TV Management System 1U Rackmount picture

LG PCS200S Pro:Centric Server Hospitality TV Management System 1U Rackmount

$350.00



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$125.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set picture

Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set

$58.00



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



Hitachi 14TB SATA 6Gb/s, 3.5”, 7200 RPM, Linux Only Hard Drive. 100% HEALTH. picture

Hitachi 14TB SATA 6Gb/s, 3.5”, 7200 RPM, Linux Only Hard Drive. 100% HEALTH.

$197.00



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99