-
Junior Member
registered user
X Server crashes after using pivot_root on another compu
Hi,
I downloaded knoppix 3.6 and installed it into a (non-bootable) external USB-HDD as a Debian Distribution with Hardware Auto detection. I then booted into the cd in single user mode and used the "pivot_root" command to transfer to the Hard Drive as detailed in the how-to at
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/PivotRootInstall
Everything worked fine and I thought I had a fully operational Mobile Debian installation. I used apt-get to update all packages and installed some new ones and everything was okay across several reboots. However, when I connected my HD to another machine and tried to do pivot_root from it's CD-ROM drive, disaster struck. The CD booted correctly and dropped me into a shell. The pivot_root command worked and everything, but the minute I switched to runlevel 5, my X Server Crashed, claiming that the config of xf86Config file was wrong. Apparently, the X server config from my original machine persisted in the HD!!!
I have included the log file below. Is this supposed to happen? Why is it that all the other hardware parameters did not stay persistent (as is required for a mobile HD installation that will be connected to different computers) and were autodetected but the X-Server config was not? How do I make sure that the X-Server and display manager are automatically configged in all computers to which I connect the HD (Bear in mind that the knoppix cd itself boots fine all the way to X, so detection is not the problem)>
If I have to manually config X each time I put it in a different machine, then is there a good non-graphical tool in Debian that I can use?
Please let me know.
Thanks,
AR
Log File:
This is a pre-release version of XFree86, and is not supported in any
way. Bugs may be reported to [email protected] and patches submitted
to [email protected]. Before reporting bugs in pre-release versions,
please check the latest version in the XFree86 CVS repository
(http://www.XFree86.Org/cvs).
XFree86 Version 4.3.0.1 (Debian 4.3.0.dfsg.1-6 20040707142024 [email protected])
Release Date: 15 August 2003
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.6
Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.23 i686 [ELF]
Build Date: 07 July 2004
Before reporting problems, check http://www.XFree86.Org/
to make sure that you have the latest version.
Module Loader present
OS Kernel: Linux version 2.6.7 (root@Knoppix) (gcc-Version 3.3.4 (Debian 1:3.3.4-3)) #2 SMP Wed Jul 28 04:25:36 CEST 2004
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/XFree86.0.log", Time: Sun Nov 28 17:44:43 2004
(EE) Unable to locate/open config file
(EE) Error from xf86HandleConfigFile()
Fatal server error:
no screens found
When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages.
This can be found in the log file "/var/log/XFree86.0.log".
Please report problems to [email protected].
Similar Threads
-
By doug1 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-24-2005, 08:01 PM
-
By kn in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 8
Last Post: 08-01-2005, 11:24 PM
-
By Evil One in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-26-2005, 03:38 AM
-
By bongski55 in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-24-2004, 06:36 AM
-
By MickKi in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-10-2004, 01:26 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡
$119.00

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P
$149.99

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch
$79.99

JUNIPER NETWORKS MIST AI AP63-US HIGH PERFORMANCE OUTDOOR ACCESS POINT - WHITE
$59.99

Juniper SRX320 8-Port Security Services Gateway Appliance w/ AC Adapter
$59.99

New Sealed Juniper EX4100-F-12P 12x 1GbE PoE 2x 10GbE uplinks 1 Year Warranty
$895.00

Juniper Networks EX2300 (EX2300-48P) 48 Ports Ethernet Switch
$249.99

Juniper EX3400-48T-AFI Ethernet Network Switch 48x1GbE 4x10GbE SFP+ 2x40GbE QSFP
$139.00

Juniper Networks SRX340 16x1GbE Ports Service Gateway Security Appliance W/ Ears
$79.99

Juniper EX3400-48T Ethernet Switch, 12-Port, Gigabit, Rack Mount
$184.99