Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Other Live CD's

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    3
    Hi Krishna,

    Thanks for the reply. I will take a look at this and get back to you...

    Cheers,
    Coady

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3
    As per my knowledge Knoppix iso still does not support direct ISO chainload and (hd32) or (0xFF) mapping.

  3. #3
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by Kowood
    can you write the disc to the hd instead of ram to make it run faster?
    Kowood, this may come as a shock to you but ram is faster than hard disk.
    ---
    Verifying of md5 checksum and burning a CD at slow speed are important.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    10
    Nice to see old postings however I regularly use Knoppix , SLAX and Puppy, and on this year 2010 they are still as functional as ever.

  5. #5
    Senior Member otropogo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    109

    What about DVD-RAM and UDF?

    Quote Originally Posted by eionmac View Post
    Nice to see old postings however I regularly use Knoppix , SLAX and Puppy, and on this year 2010 they are still as functional as ever.
    Unfortunately, they are mostly also as unfunctional as previously. For example, Puppy Linux still can't mount a DVD-RAM disk. I'm not sure about Knoppix, because I've never had enough memory to load it into RAM and/or a second burner. I did try loading Knoppix 6.2.1 LiveDVD into memory on a system that has 4GB, and it wouldn't go....

    Slax, OTOH, will load into memory on a 1GB system, freeing up the burner. And it will also read and write to DVD-RAM disks formatted UDF 1.5 (NOT 2.01, the default) in Windows 7.

    I wish I could find a Linux LiveCD distro that uses the current kernel AND supports DVD-RAM and UDF.

  6. #6
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by otropogo View Post
    Unfortunately, they are mostly also as unfunctional as previously. For example, Puppy Linux still can't mount a DVD-RAM disk. I'm not sure about Knoppix, because I've never had enough memory to load it into RAM and/or a second burner. I did try loading Knoppix 6.2.1 LiveDVD into memory on a system that has 4GB, and it wouldn't go....
    Have you tried it on a USB-flash drive? I got an 8GB super-fast, super-tiny Verbatim drive on Amazon for <$30, delivered. The speed is acceptable and I have plenty of room for the persistent file (using 2GB.) Since I have BIOS trouble, I still boot off the DVD, but I can switch over to the flash and free up the burner to make DVDs, or transfer data to/from backups.
    Slax, OTOH, will load into memory on a 1GB system, freeing up the burner. And it will also read and write to DVD-RAM disks formatted UDF 1.5 (NOT 2.01, the default) in Windows 7.

    I wish I could find a Linux LiveCD distro that uses the current kernel AND supports DVD-RAM and UDF.
    Good luck!
    Krishna

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Hessen, DE
    Posts
    24
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Kuhman
    Quote Originally Posted by Kowood
    can you write the disc to the hd instead of ram to make it run faster?
    Kowood, this may come as a shock to you but ram is faster than hard disk.
    Well, you are only half right here, of course, the RAM in a computer is always faster than the hard discs, but if you copy the whole CD image to RAM, you have left only a certain amount of RAM for the applications to use, but if you copy the whole CD image to HDD, you have as much free RAM, as if you would boot from a CD, but you have don't have to have the CD present the whole time, so it's kind of "best of both worlds" (as much free RAM as if booting from CD, while having one more free CD drive).

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    17
    The trick is to make the HDD copy bootable from HDD. Also, I'm fairly (not 100%) certain that Knoppix comes with a script or application that allows for copying of the CD image to HDD.

  9. #9
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by poppe View Post
    The trick is to make the HDD copy bootable from HDD. Also, I'm fairly (not 100%) certain that Knoppix comes with a script or application that allows for copying of the CD image to HDD.
    Yes, it can done with (for instance)
    Code:
    knoppix tohd=/dev/sda1
    the first time, and thereafter using
    Code:
    knoppix fromhd=/dev/sda1
    if you don't mind the initial boot from CD.

    Cheers!
    Krishna

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by krishna.murphy View Post
    ...if you don't mind the initial boot from CD.
    If I do mind the boot from CD... then I must be able to copy the Knoppix ISO to a disk partition and boot it with Grub2 which will boot an ISO directly. I have used the 'tohd / fromhd' method in the past and its bullet proof, but it seems, today, that the Grub2 ISO boot would be nice. Any idea what kind of menu entry I would need to add to the Grub2 "40_custom" script to get it to work...?

    Here's what I've tried but it gets stuck looking for a USB device

    Code:
    menuentry "Knoppix 2 ADRIANE V6.2.1 ISO (on /dev/sda1)" {
    insmod ext2
    set root=(hd0,1)
    loopback loop (hd0,1)/Downloads_BACKUP/adriane-knoppix.iso
    linux (loop)/boot/isolinux/linux iso_filename=/Downloads_BACKUP/adriane-knoppix.iso ramdisk_size=100000 lang=en vt.default_utf8=0 apm=power-off vga=788 xmodule=fbdev initrd=minirt.gz nomce quiet loglevel=0 tz=localtime
    echo 'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
    initrd (loop)/boot/isolinux/minirt.gz
    }
    Any ideas (or pointers about where to look) would be great! Thanks...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Cd rom is not recognizing music cd's
    By johnsmith01 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-01-2005, 09:29 AM
  2. Gaming CD's
    By AnguisV in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-16-2004, 09:11 PM
  3. What is the difference in various Live cd's?
    By maeztro in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-01-2004, 02:30 PM
  4. Swapping CD's under Knoppix
    By mrmr96 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-07-2004, 04:27 AM
  5. kpackage + Debian cd's
    By proceed in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-21-2003, 11:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$239.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$319.99



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11

$374.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 3 14

Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 3 14" FHD Laptop i5 12th Gen 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11

$329.99



Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2i 14

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2i 14" 16GB 512GB, Black

$313.00



Lenovo X1 Carbon Gen 9 i7-1185g7 32GB RAM 512GB NVME  picture

Lenovo X1 Carbon Gen 9 i7-1185g7 32GB RAM 512GB NVME

$509.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 2 14

Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 2 14" Laptop Core i5-1135G7 2.40GHz 8GB RAM 256GB SSD

$124.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T495 14” Laptop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T495 14” Laptop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11

$229.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50