Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Other Live CD's

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Cheshire, UK
    Posts
    10
    Nice to see old postings however I regularly use Knoppix , SLAX and Puppy, and on this year 2010 they are still as functional as ever.

  2. #2
    Senior Member otropogo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    109

    What about DVD-RAM and UDF?

    Quote Originally Posted by eionmac View Post
    Nice to see old postings however I regularly use Knoppix , SLAX and Puppy, and on this year 2010 they are still as functional as ever.
    Unfortunately, they are mostly also as unfunctional as previously. For example, Puppy Linux still can't mount a DVD-RAM disk. I'm not sure about Knoppix, because I've never had enough memory to load it into RAM and/or a second burner. I did try loading Knoppix 6.2.1 LiveDVD into memory on a system that has 4GB, and it wouldn't go....

    Slax, OTOH, will load into memory on a 1GB system, freeing up the burner. And it will also read and write to DVD-RAM disks formatted UDF 1.5 (NOT 2.01, the default) in Windows 7.

    I wish I could find a Linux LiveCD distro that uses the current kernel AND supports DVD-RAM and UDF.

  3. #3
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by otropogo View Post
    Unfortunately, they are mostly also as unfunctional as previously. For example, Puppy Linux still can't mount a DVD-RAM disk. I'm not sure about Knoppix, because I've never had enough memory to load it into RAM and/or a second burner. I did try loading Knoppix 6.2.1 LiveDVD into memory on a system that has 4GB, and it wouldn't go....
    Have you tried it on a USB-flash drive? I got an 8GB super-fast, super-tiny Verbatim drive on Amazon for <$30, delivered. The speed is acceptable and I have plenty of room for the persistent file (using 2GB.) Since I have BIOS trouble, I still boot off the DVD, but I can switch over to the flash and free up the burner to make DVDs, or transfer data to/from backups.
    Slax, OTOH, will load into memory on a 1GB system, freeing up the burner. And it will also read and write to DVD-RAM disks formatted UDF 1.5 (NOT 2.01, the default) in Windows 7.

    I wish I could find a Linux LiveCD distro that uses the current kernel AND supports DVD-RAM and UDF.
    Good luck!
    Krishna

Similar Threads

  1. Cd rom is not recognizing music cd's
    By johnsmith01 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-01-2005, 09:29 AM
  2. Gaming CD's
    By AnguisV in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-16-2004, 09:11 PM
  3. What is the difference in various Live cd's?
    By maeztro in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-01-2004, 02:30 PM
  4. Swapping CD's under Knoppix
    By mrmr96 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-07-2004, 04:27 AM
  5. kpackage + Debian cd's
    By proceed in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-21-2003, 11:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED picture

NEW Cisco Meraki MS130-48P-HW 48-Port Gigabit PoE+ Cloud Manage Switch UNCLAIMED

$2999.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module picture

Cisco Acacia DP04QSDD-E25-840 400G QSFP-DD Coherent DCO Transceiver Module

$699.99



Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New picture

Cisco Catalyst C9130AXI-B WiFi 6 802.11ax Wireless Access Point Brand New

$101.99



Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch picture

Cisco Nexus N9K-C92160YC-X 48P 25GbE SFP28 6P QSFP+/QSFP28 PE Switch

$439.00



Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch  W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords picture

Cisco | N3K-C3232C | 32-Port 100G QSFP Network Switch W/ 2x PSU, 2x Power Cords

$240.00



Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network picture

Cisco C9300-48UXM-A Switch 9300 Series 48-port UPoE Network

$874.99



Cisco C9200-48P-E Cisco POE Network Switch picture

Cisco C9200-48P-E Cisco POE Network Switch

$749.99



Cisco XFP-10G-MM-SR 10G XFP Transceiver picture

Cisco XFP-10G-MM-SR 10G XFP Transceiver

$79.89



NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping* picture

NEW Sealed Cisco SFP-10G-LR 10GBASE-LR SFP+ 1310nm 10km *US Shipping*

$24.00