Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Other Live CD's

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Senior Member otropogo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    109

    What about DVD-RAM and UDF?

    Quote Originally Posted by eionmac View Post
    Nice to see old postings however I regularly use Knoppix , SLAX and Puppy, and on this year 2010 they are still as functional as ever.
    Unfortunately, they are mostly also as unfunctional as previously. For example, Puppy Linux still can't mount a DVD-RAM disk. I'm not sure about Knoppix, because I've never had enough memory to load it into RAM and/or a second burner. I did try loading Knoppix 6.2.1 LiveDVD into memory on a system that has 4GB, and it wouldn't go....

    Slax, OTOH, will load into memory on a 1GB system, freeing up the burner. And it will also read and write to DVD-RAM disks formatted UDF 1.5 (NOT 2.01, the default) in Windows 7.

    I wish I could find a Linux LiveCD distro that uses the current kernel AND supports DVD-RAM and UDF.

  2. #2
    Moderator Moderator
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Asheville, NC, USA
    Posts
    528
    Quote Originally Posted by otropogo View Post
    Unfortunately, they are mostly also as unfunctional as previously. For example, Puppy Linux still can't mount a DVD-RAM disk. I'm not sure about Knoppix, because I've never had enough memory to load it into RAM and/or a second burner. I did try loading Knoppix 6.2.1 LiveDVD into memory on a system that has 4GB, and it wouldn't go....
    Have you tried it on a USB-flash drive? I got an 8GB super-fast, super-tiny Verbatim drive on Amazon for <$30, delivered. The speed is acceptable and I have plenty of room for the persistent file (using 2GB.) Since I have BIOS trouble, I still boot off the DVD, but I can switch over to the flash and free up the burner to make DVDs, or transfer data to/from backups.
    Slax, OTOH, will load into memory on a 1GB system, freeing up the burner. And it will also read and write to DVD-RAM disks formatted UDF 1.5 (NOT 2.01, the default) in Windows 7.

    I wish I could find a Linux LiveCD distro that uses the current kernel AND supports DVD-RAM and UDF.
    Good luck!
    Krishna

Similar Threads

  1. Cd rom is not recognizing music cd's
    By johnsmith01 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-01-2005, 09:29 AM
  2. Gaming CD's
    By AnguisV in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-16-2004, 09:11 PM
  3. What is the difference in various Live cd's?
    By maeztro in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-01-2004, 02:30 PM
  4. Swapping CD's under Knoppix
    By mrmr96 in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-07-2004, 04:27 AM
  5. kpackage + Debian cd's
    By proceed in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-21-2003, 11:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Schlesinger 17

Vintage Schlesinger 17" Leather Briefcase Classic Flap Whiskey Brown Attache EUC

$99.99



Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer picture

Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer

$419.99



Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1 picture

Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1

$250.00



Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New picture

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New

$75.00



Vintage Compaq PS/2 Rack Keyboard 128958-001 Assembly 128710-001 SpaceSaver picture

Vintage Compaq PS/2 Rack Keyboard 128958-001 Assembly 128710-001 SpaceSaver

$75.99



Timberland Vintage Heavy Duty Brown Leather Messenger Satchel Crossbody Bag picture

Timberland Vintage Heavy Duty Brown Leather Messenger Satchel Crossbody Bag

$127.77



Vintage S-100 California Computer Systems cards Z80 cpu + ADS  PromBlaster picture

Vintage S-100 California Computer Systems cards Z80 cpu + ADS PromBlaster

$895.00



Lot of 12 Vintage 1960's Military Logic Cards PCB Set Germanium Transistors picture

Lot of 12 Vintage 1960's Military Logic Cards PCB Set Germanium Transistors

$299.00



Sanyo DM 5012CM Solid State Data Display Monitor Working Vintage 1980s 80s picture

Sanyo DM 5012CM Solid State Data Display Monitor Working Vintage 1980s 80s

$169.99



Vintage Teac FD-505 5.25

Vintage Teac FD-505 5.25" 3.5" Combo Drive 19307571-00

$199.99