Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: How to install Knoppix 3.6 on a less than 3 GB partition?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5

    How to install Knoppix 3.6 on a less than 3 GB partition?

    Hi,
    I have a PC which has Windows 98 SE with a 40 GB HDD partitioned in this manner:-

    Drive C: = 9.75 GB FAT32

    Drive D: (Extended) = 7.1 GB FAT32
    2.65 GB Unallocated

    Drive E: = 17.7 GB

    I used to have Mandrake 9.1 on the 2.65 GB partition but once I tried to back up my whole C drive under Windows on the D drive, and somehow the 2.65 GB partition got overwritten. Now it shows as neither FAT32 nor ext2 but as unallocated and I can't boot into Mandarke 9.1.

    Anyway, I want to install Knoppix 3.6 on this 2.65 GB partition. I cannot resize any of my partitions because I don't have a way to backup my data prior to resizing.

    I read that the minimum recommended hard disk space for a Knoppix 3.6 install is 3 GB. Can I install it on 2.65 GB by leaving out some packages during the installation?

    Would there be any danger of FAT32 data on the D drive being overwritten if Knoppix somehow doesn't fit into the 2.65 GB, even if I have partitioned the 2.65 GB partition to a native Linux File System and made the Swap partition ?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    3 Gb is the recommended minimum size but the actual absolute minimum is 2.3G. Knoppix will NOT overflow into another partition if the target partition is not big enough. The install script checks (or at least it used to) for 2.3G minimum & refuses to install if less.
    If you install on a minimum space partition like this, the first thing you should do is to get rid of some unnecessary applications to free up some space. This is done with the command 'apt-get remove <package name>'.
    Immediate candidate for removal is extra langauges.
    Here is how:
    apt-get update (update your package sources so apt will work)
    apt-get install localepurge (then select only the langauge you want)
    apt-get remove kde-i18n* (remove kde language support files except english)
    This will free up over 100 Meg.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    You might also consider a "poor man's install" (PMI) which is described in the Docs section of this website.
    This requires only 700 MB HD space and no repartitioning.

    Greetings,
    probono

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5
    Thanks for the very informative reply

    It sure helped a lot. I am going to ponder over and try out one of these ways.

    Thanks.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5
    Ok thanks a lot, I managed to install knoppix 3.6 on my HD and it's working fine. I did the apt-get update, apt-get localepuge and apt-get remove kde-i18n*. However from all the language support files that were listed I couldn't find any that were of the form kde-i18n-en or kde-i18us i.e. the English support file. So can you please tell me what's the English support file listed as?

    Thanks.

Similar Threads

  1. Install Knoppix with out partition
    By kwyjibo730 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 12-28-2005, 11:32 PM
  2. Knoppix install how-to on a 5th partition
    By oceans11 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-19-2005, 07:45 PM
  3. How to install Knoppix on the same partition as Windows?
    By Zibar in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-17-2003, 03:58 AM
  4. Cant' create partition to install Knoppix 3.3
    By jpaschke in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-23-2003, 07:35 AM
  5. knoppix hdd install and swap partition ?
    By raphael24 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-07-2003, 10:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95



(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

(ST8000NM0045) SEAGATE ENTERPRISE 8TB 7200RPM 4Kn SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HARD DRIVE

$199.99



Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4 picture

Seagate ST4000NM0034 Enterprise 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s HDD v4

$39.00



Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5

Seagate ST500DM009 BarraCuda 500 GB 3.5" SATA III Desktop Hard Drive

$14.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5

HGST HUS724040ALA640 HDD 4TB SATA 6Gb/s 7.5K 3.5" 0F19459 512 b/s

$78.00



Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS picture

Seagate ST8000NM0075 Enterprise Capacity 3.5 HDD 8TB SAS Hard Drive 8TB EXOS

$184.99



Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5

Seagate ST12000NM0127 12TB 256MB 7200RPM 3.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Enterprise Hard Drive

$318.99