Exlcellent! Many thanks.
I downloaded and printed out the manual the other day at work. I had it printed duplex, bound in with our Docubind P300, and had a nice clear plastic cover put before and after the title and back page. I was laying in bed one night reading it when my wife came in and looked at what I was reading.
"What is 'know-pix'?" she asked, crawling into bed.
[LOL] "It's 'nah-pix'" I told her. "It's a free operating system that boots from a CD. It can replace the Windows XP that's on our computer. It totally bypasses reading anything on the hard drive. And if the power goes out or you need to turn off the computer, you can just hit the power button. You know, it doesn't mess up the computer and have to sit forever running a scandisk. And it comes with a cool audio program that shows the waves... like the program the guys use on Ghost Hunters..." (Ghost Hunters is a show she watches on SCI-Fi channel.)
As she rolls over, "You've already lost me. I'm going to bed. Good night sweetie."
----------------------
Awesome manual. I love it. I've tinkered some with Linux for about 8 years off and on. This is a great overview and EASY document to read.
Thanks so much!
Exlcellent! Many thanks.
Thank you for putting this together. Also just what was needed at the right time for me.
You may be interested in extended PDF http://www.jdisoftware.co.uk/pages/jdi-about.php
It adds some pizzaz (like bookmarks) beyond the "export to PDF" function built into OOo 1.1.x. It doesn't work with the 2.0 beta yet.
Too bad this page won't display in the mozilla included in knoppix ;-)Originally Posted by markpreston
dd
I loaded
http://www.pjls16812.pwp.blueyonder....pix/index.html
in mozilla!
HTH,
AJG
I read this book the other day and I have to say it is one of best GNU/Linux manuals I have ever read. Well Done. Clear, perfectly presented, good choice of license, just a perfect piece of documentation, pure art.
ddrex wrote
It does load in the mozilla browser I am using (Knoppix 3.3)markpreston wrote:
http://unit.aist.go.jp/itri/knoppix/...-knoppix/main/
Is a link to an html version of "Knowing Knoppix" that some people may find convenient to get an idea about the book.
Too bad this page won't display in the mozilla included in knoppix
dd
It's just that you have to scroll down the page to see anything useful.
Regards,
Mark
Thanks phil for yuor help!
An exciting book.been looking for suchthing.
Linux=do what you can do.![]()
Blessings:
When this came out in 04, I downloaded it and was very plesantly surprized. I learned a lot. Unfortunately Winblow$ ate the copy I put in mydocs. I recently downloaded it again and noted that the pdf opened before allowing me to save it, very disconcerting. However my intent in this post is to tell the author that his work and clarity ofexplainations is absolutely OUTSTANDING!!! I have the knoppix for dummies book and this really, in it's way, puts it to shame. The only thing I'd like to see is more of the intermediate to advanced material. BTW, one piece of info saved me from doing a super blooie! Thanks.
Long may you and the manual prosper, it is the best documetation I've ever seen. If I find some stuff that is not in the book which I think will be helpful I'll send it on.
I Remain ~ In health & In Service,
Captain Cautious![]()
2006.03.27
Thank you - this is nice for us beginners!

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1690.40
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$316.61
External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00
SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99
Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot
$129.99
Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$102.99
Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb
$452.53
Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive
$34.99
2026 NEW SGIN 15.6" Laptop Win11 Intel i3 16GB RAM 1TB SSD Wi-Fi 6 RJ45 USB-C
$302.99