Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: how to setup internet

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    34

    how to setup internet

    hi,

    does anyone have an idea how to set up an adsl connection on knoppix?
    I tried the network card configuration and adsl utility that was one the linux menu. It also gave me instructions about how to dial the adsl connection by the command line.

    I tried google, but couldn't really find anything usefull.
    Thanks for your help

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    9
    the set up depends on your Isp, and what sought of modem you are using. some use ppoe some ppoa and also if you are using a USB modem from your isp for connection forget it, its more trouble than its worth trying to get it up and running.

    My advice would be to get yourself a router and connect it to your lan card, and away you go. it will take you about two minutes to get going and virtually every linux distro inc knoppix will recognise it at start up, no props.

    Hope this helps

    Post back for more info if req

    jim

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17
    Hi,

    If you have adsl with a dhcp type of connection, first boot into windows and do this:
    start menu -> run -> command

    in the dos window type ipconfig /release

    reboot and start knoppix, it should connect to the internet automaticly...

    weedje

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    34

    thanks for your help!

    first of all I am not sure what kind of modem I have. There is an ethernet cable going out of my pc and directly into a modem that the provider gave me. I looked on the site of the isp but they don't explain anything. On windows i just used the connection setup wizard chose direct connection to the internet using broadcast connection. I just typed in the username & password from my isp and it worked. How come that doesn't work in knoppix?

    I don't get how ipconfig /release works. Does it store the configuration of windows on the hard disk? Or does it have to do with the network card? Will Knoppix do the rest by itself?

    Is there a way to check weather my network card is detected by knoppix?


    Pascal

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17
    sunpascal,

    As I said, if you have dhcp you can use the ipconfig /release command,
    But since that is not the case, do you require to log in using a VPN connection? I used to have adsl with a vpn connection a long time ago, back then I had installed linux to see what linux was all about, but since I could not get a VPN pptp connection to work in that time I removed linux from my system...

    I don't get how ipconfig /release works.
    If you have a dhcp connection and the server has assigned a ip to your network card you can simply release the connection with ipconfig /release
    see here for details,

    Anyway... Now I got adsl with dhcp so I can't help you except link you to a few pages I found, you can experiment with those and see if you can get it to work,

    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtop...highlight=pptp
    http://www.google.nl/search?hl=nl&q=...tnG=Zoeken&lr=
    http://www.google.com/linux?hl=en&lr...=Google+Search
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/search.php (use these keywords: pptp or pptp vpn)

    Goodluck! I hope this will help you on your way a little,

    weedje

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    34
    thanks for the links, weedje.
    I will look at that.
    I do not have a VPN connection, though.

    pascal

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    17
    Thats too bad, did you try the knoppix icon -> Network/Internet -> ADSL/PPPOE configuration shortcut??

    weedje

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    34
    yeah, I tried that first.

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    Before you can configure your dsl connection, you need to configure your networkcard first.
    Do the networkcard configuration and choose not to use dhcp.
    Assign and ip:
    ex:
    address :192.168.0.2
    netmask :255.255.255.0
    network :192.168.0.0
    broadcast :192.168.0.255
    gateway :leave this blank
    dns : what the isp assign to you; if don't know...you can use windows and run ipconfig /all....you'll see the dns at the bottom of the print out.

    Then run adsl/pppoe configuration (if your isp use pppoe, some isp use pppoa)


  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    34
    It works now!
    I entered cmd on my windows xp, typed ipconfig, saved the output to a file. Then I started netcardconfig on linux and typed in the ip adresses and this stuff in. And now it works!
    Thanks a lot!!

    I still don't get though why xp autodetects all the settings and knoppix doesn't...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. How to setup internet connection?
    By sAryL in forum Networking
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 08-25-2009, 08:34 PM
  2. Internet setup Problems
    By Kurzweil in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-25-2004, 06:27 PM
  3. Can't setup internet connection - Please help!
    By LinuxGozer in forum Networking
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 01-20-2004, 05:50 PM
  4. Knoppix 3.1 Internet Setup
    By DOS in forum Networking
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-02-2003, 02:57 PM
  5. Broadband Internet Setup
    By yhw22 in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-22-2003, 12:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations  Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981 picture

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981

$295.00



Vintage Apple Assembly Line Newsletter Vol: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 From 1984 picture

Vintage Apple Assembly Line Newsletter Vol: 1,2,3,4,5,6,7 From 1984

$179.99



Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh 128K 512K Carrying Case Rainbow Logo Excellent Cond

$140.00



LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED picture

LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED

$80.00



Vintage Apple Macintosh LC M0350 Desktop No Harddrive No Power Supply - Parts picture

Vintage Apple Macintosh LC M0350 Desktop No Harddrive No Power Supply - Parts

$71.95



Retro Vintage Apple M0110A Compact Wired Mechanical keyboard for Macintosh Plus picture

Retro Vintage Apple M0110A Compact Wired Mechanical keyboard for Macintosh Plus

$64.95



Vintage Apple III Joystick Cursor III - A3M0010 picture

Vintage Apple III Joystick Cursor III - A3M0010

$99.00



Apple PowerBook 3400c TFT LCD RARE Vintage Laptop untested picture

Apple PowerBook 3400c TFT LCD RARE Vintage Laptop untested

$139.99



Apple cloth fabric banner iBook bondi blue orange NOS Vintage picture

Apple cloth fabric banner iBook bondi blue orange NOS Vintage

$99.00



Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9

Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9" Green Monochrome 06/1985 A2M4090 October 1984 Stand

$275.00