Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Win XP Machine- Trying to Access /mnt/hda2/Program Files

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5

    Win XP Machine- Trying to Access /mnt/hda2/Program Files

    I've booted up with Knoppix CD, and I'm trying to access a Windows XP Professional HD (/mnt/hda2). In trying to access Program Files (which has a lock on it), a dialogue tells me "You do not have enough permissions to read file:/mnt/hda2/Program Files".

    How do I access this, so I can recover photo-images stored underneath the Kodak directory? (Please be specific - I'm still a Knoppix-Newbie!)

    After I can access it, I would like to use a GUI (WebBrowser) to FTP to my nearby machine running FTP. This I've already done for my "Documents and Settings" folder.

    I appreciate your assistance in advance!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    260
    You need to be root to access those files.
    Perhaps the easiest GUI way to do this is to open the kmenu item System>more programs>File Manager-Super User Mode. When the file manager opens it will ask for a root password.
    I haven't run from the live CD in a while I think in the live CD the root password is just "root". unless the version your using wants something else try that and good luck!

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Rather then mess with a password (there is none, you have to set it first)
    open up a consol and type
    su
    konqueror


    That should fix the lock.

    From the same window you can type

    ftp://ftp_server

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5

    Neither worked

    Neither items worked - perhaps I need to read into what you wrote, but doing exactly what you described doesn't provide a working solution.

    Program Files still shows a lock on it.

    The partition isn't readable, would ERD Commander from Winternals or any of their products work?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949

    Re: Neither worked

    Quote Originally Posted by jtaugher
    Neither items worked - perhaps I need to read into what you wrote, but doing exactly what you described doesn't provide a working solution.

    Program Files still shows a lock on it.

    The partition isn't readable, would ERD Commander from Winternals or any of their products work?
    Try right clicking on the folder and going to permissions. What does it say?

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5
    When I right-click on "Program Files" which doesn't look like a directory, but a file, it says "Type: Empty Document" . It also says underneath Permissions:

    * Owner: Forbidden
    * Group: Forbidden
    * Others: Forbidden
    Ownership:
    User: root
    Group: root

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5
    When I try to change the Access Permissions from Forbidden to "Can Read & Write", I get "Could not change permissions for /mnt/hda2/Program Files".

    When I'm in the root shell, and I type "ls -l" .. all the directories show in Blue, all the Files show in Green. Unbelievably does "Program Files" show in Green -- however it's permissions show as "?---------" whereas everything else shows as either "drwxrwxrwx" or "-rw-rw-rw-".

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by jtaugher
    When I try to change the Access Permissions from Forbidden to "Can Read & Write", I get "Could not change permissions for /mnt/hda2/Program Files".

    When I'm in the root shell, and I type "ls -l" .. all the directories show in Blue, all the Files show in Green. Unbelievably does "Program Files" show in Green -- however it's permissions show as "?---------" whereas everything else shows as either "drwxrwxrwx" or "-rw-rw-rw-".
    Hmm, it thinks that its a file not a folder.

    Can't help you there.
    Sorry.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    5
    Thanks for all your help -- I purchased a key for GetDataBack for NTFS (from Runtime.org) and voila it read sector by sector everything (choked out quite a bit of corruptness) and then I was able to pull about 5GB of data off of it.

Similar Threads

  1. Remote Access Program
    By adamherb in forum General Support
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-23-2005, 09:18 PM
  2. Serial access to a dead machine?
    By Free in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-09-2005, 07:10 PM
  3. Virtual machine program windows free
    By adamherb in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-28-2004, 05:00 AM
  4. Virtual Machine Program Live!
    By adamherb in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-25-2004, 03:22 AM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-04-2003, 06:00 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU picture

ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU

$45.00



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



ASRock B650M Pro RS WiFi AM5 AMD B650 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX Motherboard picture

ASRock B650M Pro RS WiFi AM5 AMD B650 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX Motherboard

$101.99



ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASRock B550M PRO4 AM4 AMD B550 SATA 6Gb/s Micro ATX AMD Motherboard

$76.49



MSI B460M-A Pro DDR4 LGA 1200 Micro ATX Motherboard 10th Gen picture

MSI B460M-A Pro DDR4 LGA 1200 Micro ATX Motherboard 10th Gen

$59.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99