View Poll Results: I use knoppix...

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • At home...

    4 66.67%
  • At work...

    0 0%
  • At home & work...

    1 16.67%
  • At Cowboy Neal's house!

    1 16.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Dell Latitude screen scramble!

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    57

    Dell Latitude screen scramble!

    Greetings,

    Im using a Dell Latitude laptop...If I leave my machine booted into Knoppix untouched for about 5 mins, the screen scrambles and becomes unreadable. On the screen I can still tell it is Knoppix, but none of the text is readable.

    Is this a function of a screen saver kicking in and not releaseing? How about sometype of power management from the bios of my laptop?

    When I move the mouse or type on the keyboard it does NOT 'come back' and my only recourse is to nuke it and reboot; the good news is the file system cannot corrupt!

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    57

    I think I figured it out...

    I went into my laptop's bios and the power mgt within the bios was set to turn off the screen after 5 min when on battery. Ill test and see if that was it...

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    57

    Problem NOT solved...

    It did it again...best I can tell 20(ish) mins into being idle (only does it when idle). Screensaver is set to OFF. Power management is OFF in Knoppix and in the machines bios.

    This time the screen slid down half way...putting the top on the screen in the bottom half and the bottom part of the screen on the top half... strange.

    The mouse was still usable...sound still worked....I just powered down and rebooted.

    Any ideas folks?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Problem NOT solved...

    --Try booting with one of the framebuffer options (F2 at the boot prompt)

    boot: ' fb800x600 ' == This is what I use on my laptops.

    --When you get into kde, open up a Konsole or rxvt (whatever) and issue:

    ' xset s off '

    --At a regular virtual terminal (Ctrl-Alt-F1 thru F4) issue:
    ' setterm -blank 0 '

    --See if that helps, and post back here.

    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd
    It did it again...best I can tell 20(ish) mins into being idle (only does it when idle). Screensaver is set to OFF. Power management is OFF in Knoppix and in the machines bios.

    This time the screen slid down half way...putting the top on the screen in the bottom half and the bottom part of the screen on the top half... strange.

    The mouse was still usable...sound still worked....I just powered down and rebooted.

    Any ideas folks?

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    57

    Worked like a champ!

    It worked! Thx Dave!

    One side note...I generally boot using with the switch:

    knoppix screen=1400x1050

    because that is what my laptop screen and video (GeForce Mobile somethign) can handle... I tried:

    knoppix screen=fb1400x1050

    It boots but runs 1024x768. I understand my fb1400 prob wont run...however...when my laptop runs in 1024x768 it has about a 2 inch black frame around it where my screen is not being used...can I force it to run in 1024x768 and use the ENTIRE screen without the frame?

    Thx Dave!!!

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041

    Re: Worked like a champ!

    --Probably not, if running on a laptop and booting from CD. But, you could try starting in runlevel 2 (doesn't auto-start GUI), edit the XFree86-4(?) config file for your resolution, and then try:

    ' su knoppix '
    ' startx '

    --If you do this in the default VT (Ctrl-Alt-F1), you will still have F2-F4 as Root consoles; or just do the su in Alt-F4.

    --You should be able to make this semi-permanent by doing a saveconfig (CD); or permanently, by using knx-hdinstall and changing the XFree config after reboot. If you decide to install to HD, issue ' man bash ' and look for ' /--noprofile ' (literal; type the slash at man's command prompt.) You can put those two screen-saver commands in one of bash's init scripts. (Just make sure the init script starts with ' #!/bin/bash ' and you chmod +x it.)

    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd
    It worked! Thx Dave!
    It boots but runs 1024x768. I understand my fb1400 prob wont run...however...when my laptop runs in 1024x768 it has about a 2 inch black frame around it where my screen is not being used...can I force it to run in 1024x768 and use the ENTIRE screen without the frame?

    Thx Dave!!!

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    57

    Work around fix!!!

    If you screen scrambles as noted above press (CNTL/ALT F1) wait a second and then (ALT-F5). Presto! All fixed!

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    15
    I am having the same problem with the screen border with my Dell Laptop (Inspiron 1100). Everything works fine, but there is like a 2 inch black border around the screen.

    Dave.. can u be more specific on the fix u mentioned? Where is the XFree config file u mention?

    any help is appreciated!

    -Corey

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --D00d, you realize you posted to a thread that was last replied to in 2002?

    --Anyway, for your laptop you are probably best off with booting boot: ' fb800x600 ' or ' fb1024x768 ' to get around the border problem. My old P166 Latitude only handles 800x600 native res, so that's what I boot with.

    Quote Originally Posted by corey_g_
    I am having the same problem with the screen border with my Dell Laptop (Inspiron 1100). Everything works fine, but there is like a 2 inch black border around the screen.

    Dave.. can u be more specific on the fix u mentioned? Where is the XFree config file u mention?

    any help is appreciated!

    -Corey

  10. #10
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    15
    didn't realize the thread was so old

    anyways.. i tried with the cheatcode "fb1024x768" and "fb800x600" with no luck.

    it starts to load, and when it gets to loading X11, my screen blinks a few times and I get the error "Error: no suitable X server found for your card" and then nothing.

    any more ideas?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Dell Latitude CPi , but no sound
    By Reverend in forum Laptops
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-18-2004, 07:27 AM
  2. PCI ilo PCMCIA NIC - WLAN Dell Latitude
    By anotherulrich in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-28-2004, 07:26 PM
  3. Dell Latitude LS: Screen resolution too high!
    By pandamonium54 in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-10-2004, 01:20 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-01-2004, 10:31 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-23-2003, 02:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡ picture

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡

$109.99



Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P picture

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P

$149.99



Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord picture

Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord

$174.99



Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch picture

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch

$245.00



Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic picture

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic

$79.86



Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99 picture

Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99

$24.99



Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply picture

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply

$7299.99



Juniper EX2300 48-Port Managed L4 Ethernet Switch, 10GbE/GbE, Modular 1U picture

Juniper EX2300 48-Port Managed L4 Ethernet Switch, 10GbE/GbE, Modular 1U

$758.09



Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch picture

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch

$79.99



Juniper Networks AP33 Wireless Access Point Bluetooth WiFi 6 Cloud Managed NIB picture

Juniper Networks AP33 Wireless Access Point Bluetooth WiFi 6 Cloud Managed NIB

$54.99