View Poll Results: I use knoppix...

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • At home...

    4 66.67%
  • At work...

    0 0%
  • At home & work...

    1 16.67%
  • At Cowboy Neal's house!

    1 16.67%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 16 of 16

Thread: Dell Latitude screen scramble!

  1. #11
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --You're not entering "knoppix fb800x600" are you? The fb800x600 replaces knoppix as the first thing entered before the cheatcodes.

    ftp://ftp.uni-kl.de/pub/linux/knoppi...cheatcodes.txt

    --Try adding ' xmodule=fbdev ' to the cheats as well.

    Quote Originally Posted by corey_g_
    didn't realize the thread was so old

    anyways.. i tried with the cheatcode "fb1024x768" and "fb800x600" with no luck.

    it starts to load, and when it gets to loading X11, my screen blinks a few times and I get the error "Error: no suitable X server found for your card" and then nothing.

    any more ideas?

  2. #12
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    15
    I am entering it as "fb1024x765" (no knoppix before)..

    i also tried "fb1024x768 xmodule=fbdev" same thing happens..

    the only odd thing i do notice when I boot with no cheatcodes, I get : "you passed an unidentified mode number. press return to see video modes available".. i then try every mode in the list it gives me and there seems to be no difference.

    Also, I am getting this black border always.. even at the initial screen where u enter the boot code.

  3. #13
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    2,479
    Quote Originally Posted by corey_g_
    I am entering it as "fb1024x765" (no knoppix before)..

    i also tried "fb1024x768 xmodule=fbdev" same thing happens..

    the only odd thing i do notice when I boot with no cheatcodes, I get : "you passed an unidentified mode number. press return to see video modes available".. i then try every mode in the list it gives me and there seems to be no difference.

    Also, I am getting this black border always.. even at the initial screen where u enter the boot code.
    Try adding in vga=normal with the other cheat codes and maybe noddc, you may want to try the normal all alone.

  4. #14
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    15
    yeah i figured out that the vga=normal gets rid of the "unidentified mode" message. But this still is not fixing the problem of the video not filling the screen. ive tried literally every combination of cheatcodes possible (i think). from what I have read in other posts, i think the problem has to do with support for this intel (82845) intergrated video card my laptop has. The Intel site claims there they have a linux driver available for it. But I guess knoppix does not support this.

    any other ideas from anyone?


    thanks.

  5. #15
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    ' vga=normal ' will override the framebuffer setting, as fb800x600 literally is a vga= setting itself.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen
    Quote Originally Posted by corey_g_
    I am entering it as "fb1024x765" (no knoppix before)..

    i also tried "fb1024x768 xmodule=fbdev" same thing happens..

    the only odd thing i do notice when I boot with no cheatcodes, I get : "you passed an unidentified mode number. press return to see video modes available".. i then try every mode in the list it gives me and there seems to be no difference.

    Also, I am getting this black border always.. even at the initial screen where u enter the boot code.
    Try adding in vga=normal with the other cheat codes and maybe noddc, you may want to try the normal all alone.

  6. #16
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Posts
    15
    dave.. still no luck.. even when not using them together..

    ive used knoppix on my 2 desktop machines at work and it works great. Of course its my laptop (where i really want to run it) that doesnt work

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Similar Threads

  1. Dell Latitude CPi , but no sound
    By Reverend in forum Laptops
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-18-2004, 07:27 AM
  2. PCI ilo PCMCIA NIC - WLAN Dell Latitude
    By anotherulrich in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-28-2004, 07:26 PM
  3. Dell Latitude LS: Screen resolution too high!
    By pandamonium54 in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-10-2004, 01:20 AM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-01-2004, 10:31 PM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-23-2003, 02:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2

$75.99



Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004

$649.99



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i Tri-Mode RAID Controller 4.0 NVMe SAS SATA NEW 05-50111-01003

$639.69



WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure picture

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure

$119.99



Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array

$55.00



Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller picture

Broadcom LSI 9305-16i 12Gbps SAS-3 PCIe x8 HBA 16-Ports Raid Controller

$64.99



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go picture

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go

$75.00



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00