Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Thinkpad T21 hangs on suspend w/ knoppix 3.6

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2

    Thinkpad T21 hangs on suspend w/ knoppix 3.6

    I recently reformatted my Thinkpad T21 and installed 3.6 to the disk. Everything works beautifully except for suspend/resume. I'm guessing this has to do with kernel 2.6 and the new ACPI support. I used to have Redhat 9 (2.4-20) and I believe that used APM rather than ACPI, as suspend/resume worked fine with that OS.

    So, my questions are:
    1) What should I try to get ACPI suspend working with this machine?
    2) If ACPI is not an option, how can I disable it and enable APM instead?

    Thanks in advance for any ideas.
    Justin

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    235
    Hi,

    I have a T21 as well, and I have found that ACPI is buggy with this laptop. Ditto for the 2.6 kernel, so I have used a custom 2.4.27 with APM with excellent results. Make sure you get the cpufreq patch (for recompling the 2.4 kernel), tpb, thinkpad-base, thinkpad source for the thinkpad modules, and tpctl for additional power savings for your laptop. If you want 3d acceleration, you'll need to compile your xfree server to xfree86-DRI from cvs. IIRC, the recent kernels compiled by Klaus are compiled with acpi so you may/will have to compile your own kernel if you want suspend/resume to work. There is a patch for acpi for ibm laptops called ibm-acpi that I just recently found about in another forum on gmane. This patch supposedly works great for 2.6 kernels and acpi, so you might want to google for the link to get more information about this.

    HTH,

    Durand

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    2
    Durand,
    Wow, thanks for all of that. I've had Linux on that T21 since the day I bought it (may 2001?) and never knew there was a set of thinkpad kernel modules available. I certainly didn't see them on any Redhat sites at the time. I'll have to wait about a week to mess with that machine again, as my wife is using it for her daily work for now. I'll be sure to add any other details that I discover that aren't covered by your post.
    Justin

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    36
    Try Kanotix BH-X, it has the new 2.6.9 Kernel with Suspend2. It works like a charm on my IBM T40.

    This is the first kernel to suspend properly, as of 2.6.8 it was broken.

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    52
    I look at Kanotix website. It says it needs i586 arch. I am not sure what my arch is. I have notice that Knoppix Live CD returns i686 on all three computers that I have tried the command arch on. One desktop pc is like 4 years old. The other two desktop pcs were newer than that one. What would be the arch of the 4 years old pc be? It is a pentium 2, 450mhz. I do not know what else to list. If you would have to take a guess do you think that Kanotix BH-X would work on this PC or not?

    Thanks for any input that you can give me.

  6. #6
    Administrator Site Admin-
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    5,441
    Quote Originally Posted by kn2user
    ...What would be the arch of the 4 years old pc be? It is a pentium 2, 450mhz. I do not know what else to list. If you would have to take a guess do you think that Kanotix BH-X would work on this PC or not?....
    i586 is Pentium and up, not exactly sure where they draw the line for i686, since AMD and Intel (and some other players) were all doing some different things around that time. But you are certainly i586 and maybe i686. Yes, BH-X should certainly work on that system.

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    52
    Thanks Harry Kuhman. I will try BH-X.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    235
    Jcasp,

    Here is the link to the patches for cpufreq for 2.4 kernels: ftp://ftp.linux.org.uk/pub/linux/cpufreq/
    The thinkpad-source patch was actually found on Andrea Arcangeli's kernel website on kernel.org. Once patched into the kernel you can update the the source code from the thinkpad-source package thru apt-get or aptitude. I often combine it with Con Koliva's lck patchset to get a near 2.6-like kernel sans nptl.

    HTH,

    Durand

Similar Threads

  1. how to put knoppix on standby/hibernate/suspend
    By darkx in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-07-2005, 06:25 PM
  2. How to get Suspend Key to work on HP Omnibook?
    By AlBorland in forum Laptops
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-20-2004, 09:55 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-31-2004, 07:59 PM
  4. suspend to disk (on every PC)
    By probono in forum Ideas
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-27-2003, 08:24 PM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-06-2003, 09:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM picture

Gigabyte 4U AI Server 10x Nvidia GPU 2x Xeon Gold 6150 36 Core 2.7GHz DDR4 RAM

$1499.00



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001 picture

867959-B21 HPE ProLiant DL360 G10 CTO Server W/ 2x 865414-B21 1x 840140-001

$245.00



Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD

$99.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2690 v3 | 64gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$524.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots picture

Supermicro 2U GPU Server SYS-2029GP-TR 2x Xeon 6130 32C 6x PCIe 3.0 x16 Slots

$745.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00



Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64bit 32 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed picture

Microsoft Windows Server 2025 Standard 64bit 32 Core-50 CALs DVD With Key Sealed

$95.99