-
Newbie: Boot from floppy & USB CD-ROM drive
Hi,
I have an older IBM ThinkPad with an external floppy drive and USB CD-ROM drive (which is not bootable). I wonder whether it's possible to start (or indeed install) Knoppix from the USB CD-ROM drive using the boot floppy provided with Knoppix? Have anyone tried that?
Thank you in advance!
Regards.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Newbie: Boot from floppy & USB CD-ROM drive
Sorry to say, but why don't you try yourself? A bootfloppy is made in a minute or so under DOS/Windows. Reboot and try, so to say.
Any partitions are mounted read only, so the chance of damage is really small.
-
Well, of course, I'll do that. I thought that there are others who have tried that and could share their experiences. That's what the forum is all about, isn't it?
Anyway, as soon as I check the possibility of booting from USB CD-ROM drive, I'll post the results.
Regards.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
dboffin
I thought that there are others who have tried that and could share their experiences. That's what the forum is all about, isn't it?
Didn't mean it that way. I understand that you might need some special cheatcodes to get things working, someone could have a working config already.
Hope it works.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Google over to Smart Boot Manager and use it to make a floppy boot manager that will allow you to boot from your CD inspite of your bios limitations.
It works great for me and my bios can't get me CD boots either.
OTOH that USB connection might be the show stopper. Can't you plug that CD drive in thorgh another port like the pcmcia slot?
-
Hi,
Thank you for your advice. I'll download Smart Boot Manager and give it a try in a couple of days. I'm a complete newbie, so any additional advice on how to proceed with Smart Boot Manager will be greatly appreciated.
The speed of the USB drive is not an issue, since I plan to install Koppix on the HD.
I'll keep you posted.
Regard.
-
Senior Member
registered user
make the boot floppy and copy \KNOPPIX\KNOPPIX(the big file) to the hardisk(assuming it is a FAT partition). You don't even need the CD-ROM
-

Originally Posted by
garyng
make the boot floppy and copy \KNOPPIX\KNOPPIX(the big file) to the hardisk(assuming it is a FAT partition). You don't even need the CD-ROM
Excuse my total ignorance
, but how do I copy the KNOPPIX file without using the CD-ROM?
Regards.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Oh, I mean copy it in DOS/Window when you can still access the CD-ROM. After that, you don't need it when you boot into linux.
just make sure after copy, the big file is under C:\KNOPPIX, so the full path of that 700M file would be :
c:\KNOPPIX\KNOPPIX
(no extension)
-
That simple!
Thank you very much for the advice.
Regards.
Similar Threads
-
By mingus725 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-07-2005, 04:20 AM
-
By XPconvert in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 12-13-2004, 08:26 PM
-
By hnash53 in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 11-24-2003, 03:29 AM
-
By holyboy in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-05-2003, 03:45 PM
-
By boehmb in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 0
Last Post: 01-25-2003, 02:45 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working
$99.99

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D
$49.29

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)
$300.00

Atari 800 8-bit Computer System Fully Tested Great Condition 48k READ
$350.00

ATARI Mouse with Adapter for ST, STE, Mega STE, TT Optical - USA Seller
$29.99

VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL “Powers On” Parts or Repair
$249.95

A8PicoCart Multicart for Atari 800xl /65xe / 130xe / XEGS
$16.95

Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI
$44.00

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE
$34.25

ATARI HDD Drive ACSI Emulator 520-1040ST/STF/STFM, STE, Mega STE, TT030 acsi2stm
$48.95