-
Input/output failure cloning to USB drive
I'm very much a Linux beginner.
I'm also aware that there are an awful lot of queries posted regarding drive cloning. However, so far I have not found anything that helps with the following issue.
I'm booting into the current version of Knoppix (3.6?). I'm attempting to clone a win98 se internal drive (boot) to an external Archos 20 Gigabyte hard drive. Drive capacities appear to be identical.
Procedurally, I unmount both hard drives, and make the USB drive writeable in the GUI, shell out to console, log on as root (su + passwd), and use the dd command with if and of specified to point to the drives. Everything goes smoothly for the first ten minutes (I'm using USB 1.1 so this is not a speedy operation) then I get an input-output error message at the console and the operation terminates.
If I boot back into Windows and look at the files, the root structure has been created, with all directories and files visible and apparently soundly copied and correctly named. However, if I look into some of the directories, though most are empty, some have cryptically named files and sub-directories (where none should exist). Clearly the cloning process has worked OK at root but I'm troubled by these nonce files.
My questions are:
1. Am I doing something stupid on the command line initially that's causing the termination? OR
2. Are these errors (the input/ouput failure, the odd files and subdirectories likely simply a manifestation of a write failure?
I should say that the drive communicates fine under Windows and I can (for example) do a full multi-hour system file-for-file backup using Dantz Retrospect. However, my backup preference is a bootable clone on the USB drive. This seems better done with Knoppix than any of the Windows utilities out there.
One thing that occurred to me is that perhaps the drive capacities are not exactly equal (though they appear to be). If this is a potential issue, is there a workaround that copies simply files, not blank space (which, I believe, cloning also copies)?
Ted.
Similar Threads
-
By mikesmith36 in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 12-24-2005, 10:35 AM
-
By enlightened_j in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 06-21-2005, 06:39 PM
-
By downdogWoof in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 04-07-2005, 05:27 AM
-
By dark_mage in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-30-2005, 01:29 AM
-
By Penumbral in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 05-20-2004, 07:06 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$316.61

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive
$34.99

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$102.99

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot
$129.99

Lenovo Legion 5 Gaming 15.1" WQXGA OLED 165Hz Core i9-14900HX 16GB 1TB RTX 5070
$1469.00

External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A
$100.00

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive
$24.99