-
Two Sound Cards - How to select which one is used?
My motherboard has on-board sound, but this is disabled in the BIOS and I use a SoundBlaster AWE64 in an ISA slot. Unfortunately, Knoppix detects both the on-board sound (even though it is disabled in the BIOS, which is odd) and the SoundBlaster, but seems to use the on-board sound (C-Media, apparently) for everything and nothing comes out of the SoundBlaster.
How do I tell Knoppix to use the SoundBlaster instead?
TIA
-
Re: Two Sound Cards - How to select which one is used?

Originally Posted by
trellis
My motherboard has on-board sound, but this is disabled in the BIOS and I use a SoundBlaster AWE64 in an ISA slot. Unfortunately, Knoppix detects both the on-board sound (even though it is disabled in the BIOS, which is odd) and the SoundBlaster, but seems to use the on-board sound (C-Media, apparently) for everything and nothing comes out of the SoundBlaster.
How do I tell Knoppix to use the SoundBlaster instead?
TIA
A pity no one answered this post.. did you solve it anyhow?
I've just received the 3.7 CD and find that (with alsa in the boot line, and knoppix26) it selects my usb voip handset as dsp0 and the onboard intel8x0 as dsp1 - not good.
I'll ask anyhow, does anyone have a solution, other than disconnect the handset?
regards
-
I don't know what BIOS you're using, but disabling worked on my computer. I think it was called "on-chip sound"
If you find any way to use both cards, that would be ideal!
good luck,
Rick
***EDIT*** To clarify: When I said it worked, I meant that soundconfig "saw" only the SB card. It was enough to get "Test Sound" to work.
-
Senior Member
registered user
There is a module that you can install with modconf as root to see if it helps. Select kernel/sound/oss modules and scroll down to the following(highlighted). Hit enter and enter through until is says it is installed. This must be done as root. There are also other modules that you might want to look at in the sound and sound/oss categories. This is the match I found that might work:
sb - 100% Sound Blaster compatibles (SB16/32/64, ESS, Jazz16) support
Hope this helps.
-
I just tried it with the on-chip sound enabled. I can still get the SB to work.
(though the built in chip still doesn't work, even with ALSA, but I don't really care)
In modconf, I just had to go into modconf. under kernel/sound/oss/emu10k1 add emu10k1
I think there are probably other ways of achieving the same effect, but i've got no idea.
Similar Threads
-
By Israel in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 12-25-2005, 12:44 PM
-
By blustrk in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-21-2004, 11:12 PM
-
By wiedar in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 06-02-2004, 02:33 AM
-
By Lemming in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 02-19-2004, 09:02 PM
-
By ShavedHawk in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 10-01-2003, 04:13 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50

Lenovo Yoga 7 2-in-1 14AHP9 AMD RYZEN 5 8640HS 3.5 GHz/ 512 GB/8GB Win 11 Touch
$393.00

Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga Gen 5 Touch 14” Laptop Core i5 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11
$249.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L390 13.3” Touchscreen Laptop Core i3 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11
$199.99

Lenovo - Yoga 7i 2-in-1 16" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core Ultra 5 Proces...
$749.99

Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3 15.6" Full HD Laptop - AMD Ryzen 5 40 2025 - 8GB Memo...
$379.99

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good
$261.99

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 2-in-1 16" WUXGA Touch Ryzen 7 8845HS 16GB 512GB SSD FPReader
$571.00

Lenovo Thinkbook 14 inch (256GB, Intel Core i7 8th Gen., 1.80GHz, 8GB) Laptop -
$429.99

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50