Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Two Sound Cards - How to select which one is used?

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    5

    Two Sound Cards - How to select which one is used?

    My motherboard has on-board sound, but this is disabled in the BIOS and I use a SoundBlaster AWE64 in an ISA slot. Unfortunately, Knoppix detects both the on-board sound (even though it is disabled in the BIOS, which is odd) and the SoundBlaster, but seems to use the on-board sound (C-Media, apparently) for everything and nothing comes out of the SoundBlaster.

    How do I tell Knoppix to use the SoundBlaster instead?

    TIA

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    80

    Re: Two Sound Cards - How to select which one is used?

    Quote Originally Posted by trellis
    My motherboard has on-board sound, but this is disabled in the BIOS and I use a SoundBlaster AWE64 in an ISA slot. Unfortunately, Knoppix detects both the on-board sound (even though it is disabled in the BIOS, which is odd) and the SoundBlaster, but seems to use the on-board sound (C-Media, apparently) for everything and nothing comes out of the SoundBlaster.

    How do I tell Knoppix to use the SoundBlaster instead?

    TIA
    A pity no one answered this post.. did you solve it anyhow?

    I've just received the 3.7 CD and find that (with alsa in the boot line, and knoppix26) it selects my usb voip handset as dsp0 and the onboard intel8x0 as dsp1 - not good.

    I'll ask anyhow, does anyone have a solution, other than disconnect the handset?

    regards

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Spring, TX
    Posts
    9
    I don't know what BIOS you're using, but disabling worked on my computer. I think it was called "on-chip sound"
    If you find any way to use both cards, that would be ideal!
    good luck,
    Rick

    ***EDIT*** To clarify: When I said it worked, I meant that soundconfig "saw" only the SB card. It was enough to get "Test Sound" to work.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    There is a module that you can install with modconf as root to see if it helps. Select kernel/sound/oss modules and scroll down to the following(highlighted). Hit enter and enter through until is says it is installed. This must be done as root. There are also other modules that you might want to look at in the sound and sound/oss categories. This is the match I found that might work:
    sb - 100% Sound Blaster compatibles (SB16/32/64, ESS, Jazz16) support

    Hope this helps.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Spring, TX
    Posts
    9
    I just tried it with the on-chip sound enabled. I can still get the SB to work.
    (though the built in chip still doesn't work, even with ALSA, but I don't really care)

    In modconf, I just had to go into modconf. under kernel/sound/oss/emu10k1 add emu10k1

    I think there are probably other ways of achieving the same effect, but i've got no idea.

Similar Threads

  1. How to select drives?
    By Israel in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-25-2005, 12:44 PM
  2. Select Partition to Install on
    By blustrk in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 12-21-2004, 11:12 PM
  3. Two sound cards
    By wiedar in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-02-2004, 02:33 AM
  4. Cant select a different background.
    By Lemming in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-19-2004, 09:02 PM
  5. SB Audigy cards & ATI Radeon ALL-IN-WONDER 7500 Cards
    By ShavedHawk in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-01-2003, 04:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


2x SAMSUNG 32GB DDR4  2RX4 PC4-2933Y SERVER MEMORY M393A4K40CB2-CVFC0 64GB TOTAL picture

2x SAMSUNG 32GB DDR4 2RX4 PC4-2933Y SERVER MEMORY M393A4K40CB2-CVFC0 64GB TOTAL

$300.00



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS picture

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR4 Gamer Desktop RAM PC4 MIXED BRANDS

$65.00



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT picture

MINT Micron Cisco 32GB PC4-2400T DDR4 2Rx4 RDIMM RAM MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G3 LOT

$159.99



Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC picture

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC

$29.99



Samsung 8GB DDR4 2666MHz Desktop Ram Memory (M378A1K43DB2-CTD) Tested picture

Samsung 8GB DDR4 2666MHz Desktop Ram Memory (M378A1K43DB2-CTD) Tested

$29.99



DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix picture

DDR4 Laptop RAM 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB 2400 2666 3200 Samsung Hynix

$30.00



16GB DDR3 RAM Kit (4x4GB) 1333MHz UDIMM, PC3-10600U Memory, 240-Pin CL9 1.5V picture

16GB DDR3 RAM Kit (4x4GB) 1333MHz UDIMM, PC3-10600U Memory, 240-Pin CL9 1.5V

$72.99



LOT OF 48 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx48=192GB Total) picture

LOT OF 48 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx48=192GB Total)

$300.00