This is a long shot of course, but once
I actually forgot to mount the hdd_ as writeable (oops)
Okay, I've looked around and I can't find a similar issue posted.
I decided to use Webmin instead of SWAT (could never get it to work right after reviewing 300 posts, Yahoo hits lists, Samba docs).
The shock is everything works except one thing--Win98 cannot copy files TO a Knoppix share.
Win98/WinXP clients can see the Knoppix share
Win98/WinXP clients can copy files FROM the Knoppix share
Knoppix can copy files to Win98/WinXP clients
Knoppix can see and copy files from Win98/WinXP shares
Webmin, like Swat, modifies the smb.conf file after making any changes.
Any ideas on how to get the Win98/WinXP clients to copy files to a Knoppix shared folder?
SMB.CONF FILE DUMP:
[Global]
netbios name = SERVER1
browseable = yes
local master = yes
workgroup = WORKGROUP
os level = 65
domain master = no
security = share
[SHARE1]
writeable = yes
path = /mnt/hdd1/SHARE1
write list = username1, username2
valid users = username1, username2
public = yes
user = username1, username2
This is a long shot of course, but once
I actually forgot to mount the hdd_ as writeable (oops)

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡
$109.99
Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P
$149.99
Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed)
$345.97
New Juniper Networks EX3400-48P 48-Port PoE+ 4-Port SFP+ Ethernet Switch Sealed
$466.65
New Sealed Juniper EX4100-F-12P 12x 1GbE PoE 2x 10GbE uplinks 1 Year Warranty
$895.00
Juniper Networks MX204-HW-BASE *BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED* READ DETAILS
$8199.99
Juniper EX4600-40F-AFO 24-Port Dual PSU Network Switch
$164.98
Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch
$79.99
Juniper QFX5100-48S-3AFI 48-Port SFP+ 6 QSFP+ 2x SFP/RJ-45 Management
$249.97
Juniper EX2300 Unclaimed 12-Port Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12T
$249.99