-
Knoppix and TV
Hi..
I have this situation that i don' have monitor or hard-drive atm. So i'm using knoppix and my 32" TV as monitor (via S-VIDEO)
Problem: I have to run knoppix as Failsafe to get desktop visible and it's only 800x600 whit 73Hz. Is there somekind setting that would be 1024x768 and maybe more Hz (coz my head hurts!!
) hw detection says that my craphic-card is NV VANRA.
Thanks in advance!!
-
Senior Member
registered user
I could be wrong, but I don't think a normal TV can do 1024x768. If it could, then why would we use monitors instead of TVs. I think the native USA TV resolution is something like 640x400 and then video card scales 800x600 appropriately to fit inside 640x400. This is why text labels like menus & buttons are blurry when displayed from a PC to a TV.
Someone correct me if I am wrong.
I hope this helps.
James
-
The frequency on an NTSC TV should also be ~60 Hz.
There are newer TV's though that can go up to 1024x768, so the question is: What kind of TV do you have?
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Markus
The frequency on an NTSC TV should also be ~60 Hz.
There are newer TV's though that can go up to 1024x768, so the question is: What kind of TV do you have?
From what i've heard, normal tv is encoded at 320x280 or something like that.
-

Originally Posted by
firebyrd10

Originally Posted by
Markus
The frequency on an NTSC TV should also be ~60 Hz.
There are newer TV's though that can go up to 1024x768, so the question is: What kind of TV do you have?
From what i've heard, normal tv is encoded at 320x280 or something like that.
It depends on the TV now doesn't it. Some new ones have higher resolution so you can use them as monitors as well as TV's.
The low frequency is a thing from the past so that when the tubes got old and started giving disturbing lines the lines wouldn't scroll as the Hz was synced to the same as AC coming in. But it's a standard now and therefore hard to change.
-
Asked a friend who's got a newer TV. Seems like there's 100 Hz TV's nowadays. I live in a PAL part of the world but surely the same applies for NTSC?
-
Senior Member
registered user
I guess some could
Hd tv is 1920x1080 and 1280x720.
but for non hd tvs, its more often then not what I said.
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99

DELL Optiplex 780 SFF CORE2DUO 3.0GHz 8GB RAM 250GB HDDDVDRW NO OS
$99.99

HP Z420 Pro Workstation PC Xeon E5-2660 8-Core 64GB RAM Quadro K5000 128GB SSD
$249.00

HP ZBook Firefly 14" G8 Mobile Workstation i5 11th Gen 16GB RAM 256 GB SSD No AC
$166.49

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011
$30.00

HP EliteBook 850 G6 15.6" Core i5-8265U 1.60GHz 8GB RAM AMD Lexa GPU PWR Adapter
$120.00

AMD Ryzen 7 9700X 8-Core 16-Thread 40MB Cache Socket AM5 9000 Series Processor
$245.99

AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked
$79.99

Dell Optiplex 7050 Micro Core i5-7500 8 GB RAM 256GB SSD Microsoft Windows 11
$89.99

SGIN 17.3" Laptop Intel Quad-Core Up to 2.4 GHZ 8GB RAM 256GB SSD HD
$229.99