Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Yankee Imperialism!

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929

    Yankee Imperialism!

    Two or 3 not unrelated issues here:

    How do I get Italian as the default keyboard mapping? OK, I can do it easily enough for X sessions in Kde, but it leaves me floundering about in console sessions as, no matter what I do (keymap-install appears to have no effect whatsoever, although I'm not 100% sure I understand the man page) I end up with the us keymappings (OK, so my mother tongue is English -- although not American English) and I have an Italian keyboard.

    Knoppix/Debian is the only Linux I've come across which refuses to print (I mean, on screen) non standard ascii characters: for example, I have a lot of oggs by a Macedonian band called Koçani (that's c cedilla) Orkestar: for reasons I can't grok, Although the file name shows correctly (maybe Kde is handing that) XMMS shows the band as Koani Orkestar! Can I fix this?

    Note to developers: most of the English speaking world does *not* speak American English or use American imperial measurements or use American keyboards. WTF are these the defaults?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    298

    Re: Yankee Imperialism!

    Quote Originally Posted by fingers99
    How do I get Italian as the default keyboard mapping?
    Press F2 at the Knoppix bootprompt, enter "knoppix lang=it". See the cheatcode docs. Hope this helps.

    Knoppix/Debian is the only Linux I've come across which refuses to print (I mean, on screen) non standard ascii characters: for example, I have a lot of oggs by a Macedonian band called Koçani (that's c cedilla) Orkestar: for reasons I can't grok, Although the file name shows correctly (maybe Kde is handing that) XMMS shows the band as Koani Orkestar! Can I fix this?
    The c cedille is an upper ASCII code (above code 126), about every country or district uses it's own upper ASCII table... So I guess you were just lucky before. Or you set your locale to Italy in the installation.

    The lang=it cheatcode should fix this, I hope.

    Note to developers: most of the English speaking world does *not* speak American English or use American imperial measurements or use American keyboards. WTF are these the defaults?
    Uhm, you should really check out who made this 'distro' or you would have said "imperial germans" instead

    I hope that the lang=it option fixes your problem. If most people in Italy use Italian keyboards insteads of US ones you have big chances it will.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933

    Re: Yankee Imperialism!

    Quote Originally Posted by Henk Poley
    Uhm, you should really check out who made this 'distro' or you would have said "imperial germans" instead
    damn karma <chuckle>

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    Press F2 at the Knoppix bootprompt, enter "knoppix lang=it". See the cheatcode docs. Hope this helps.
    Well, I can see that it'd work from the CD, but from a hard drive install?

    Uhm, you should really check out who made this 'distro' or you would have said "imperial germans" instead
    Ah, but it's in the nature of Imperialism to corrupt all and to lead to an internalisation of (foreign) values: I'm sure that there are Kde, OpenOfficeOrg and Knoppix developers who really think that we use US paper sizes, US keyboards, and such. We don't, and we won't

    As for the Germans, my only major beef is that they still have not paid the Roma any reparations: 50+ years is a little too long to have to wait!

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Quote Originally Posted by fingers99
    Press F2 at the Knoppix bootprompt, enter "knoppix lang=it". See the cheatcode docs. Hope this helps.
    Well, I can see that it'd work from the CD, but from a hard drive install?
    Yes it works. That's why you need to ensure that everything is as you wish it to be with the bootable cd before installing it.

    Ah, but it's in the nature of Imperialism to corrupt all and to lead to an internalisation of (foreign) values: I'm sure that there are Kde, OpenOfficeOrg and Knoppix developers who really think that we use US paper sizes, US keyboards, and such. We don't, and we won't
    bah! - now had you said capitalism instead of imperialism well maybe........

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    298
    Quote Originally Posted by fingers99
    Press F2 at the Knoppix bootprompt, enter "knoppix lang=it". See the cheatcode docs. Hope this helps.
    Well, I can see that it'd work from the CD, but from a hard drive install?
    A Knoppix HDD install will contain the same settings as you booted with. So the *easy* way would be be to do a reinstall. You could also check the bootscripts used by knoppix (they are in /KNOPPIX on the CD?) and see if you can decipher what lang=it does and add that to your startup scripts (don't ask me where...)

    Uhm, you should really check out who made this 'distro' or you would have said "imperial germans" instead
    Ah, but it's in the nature of Imperialism to corrupt all and to lead to an internalisation of (foreign) values: I'm sure that there are Kde, OpenOfficeOrg and Knoppix developers who really think that we use US paper sizes, US keyboards, and such. We don't, and we won't
    AFAIK both KDE and OpenOffice were from the beginning german projects

    "US papersizes" have been business standard in Europe since about 1880 or something, "letter" for example is the format that would fit into a typewriter. *Everybody* uses that... I know that's probably your problem. But would you want to calc to and from foreign standards if you want to buy paper for your printer? I think I'm happy with "A4".

    Americans still measure pre-napoleonistic measures like inches and gallons etc. so indeed you should rather cry than laugh.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Posts
    929
    A Knoppix HDD install will contain the same settings as you booted with. So the *easy* way would be be to do a reinstall. You could also check the bootscripts used by knoppix (they are in /KNOPPIX on the CD?) and see if you can decipher what lang=it does and add that to your startup scripts (don't ask me where...)
    I'll give that a go next weekend. Or someone could tell me where it's hardcoded so I can try some judicious editing.

    You really make my point for me with the paper sizes and such: in the UK we've not used (and it's been just about impossible to buy) letter for 30 years or so, and it's actually illegal to sell stuff by imperial weights (although legal to sell by metric and imperial). Oz and NZ use metric. Only US and Canada still use "letter". Drives me nuts with US dictionaries, badly translated German(!) page descriptions (what's wrong with "odd" and "even" FCS?) and so on.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit USB Flash Drive (HAV-00162) picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit USB Flash Drive (HAV-00162)

$36.99



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



LOT x60 SATA SSD enterprise flash 100TB (MTFDDAK960TDC,MTFDDAK1T9TDC,THNSN81Q) picture

LOT x60 SATA SSD enterprise flash 100TB (MTFDDAK960TDC,MTFDDAK1T9TDC,THNSN81Q)

$18500.00



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



TESLA OEM Model S,3,X,Y USB Flash Drive for Dashcam 128GB READ DESCRIPTION BELOW picture

TESLA OEM Model S,3,X,Y USB Flash Drive for Dashcam 128GB READ DESCRIPTION BELOW

$22.00



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99