Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: vim highlighting

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3

    vim highlighting

    Hi,

    I've installed Knoppix 3.6 to my hard drive and started it in run level 3.

    The problem is that I get no syntax highlighting.

    I've checked ~/.vimrc and it has syntax on
    I even added the line: source /usr/share/vim/vim63/syntax/syntax.vim

    I've also added this line to /etc/vim/vimrc

    but I continue to have no hl

    what else should I do?

    Thanks in advance,

    Luis

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    83

    Re: vim highlighting

    Quote Originally Posted by luis_lupe
    The problem is that I get no syntax highlighting.

    I've checked ~/.vimrc and it has syntax on
    I even added the line: source /usr/share/vim/vim63/syntax/syntax.vim

    I've also added this line to /etc/vim/vimrc
    I don't have Knoppix installed but I suspect that you only have the console vim installed. You probably need the gui vim which on KDE is called kvim. So, firstly remove the source line you added to your .vimrc and /etc/vim/vimrc - you shouldn't need to add anything explicit for syntax highlighting. Then do a "apt-get install kvim" to get it.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3

    console mode

    But I'm only using console mode. The computer where I'm running Knoppix only has 32 MB of memory.

    Still, there should be a way to have vim with syntax highlighting on in console mode.

    The graphic card and monitor support colors.

    Luis

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    83

    Re: console mode

    Quote Originally Posted by luis_lupe
    But I'm only using console mode. The computer where I'm running Knoppix only has 32 MB of memory.

    Still, there should be a way to have vim with syntax highlighting on in console mode.
    Sorry, I was not clear in my post. I mean that the "console" compiled version of vim probably doesn't have syntax highlighting compiled in. E.g. type ":ver" from within your vim and see if you have "+syntax" or "-syntax". You probably have "-syntax" but if you download and install kvim then "+syntax" will now be turned on (even when you run vim in the console). Note that kvim is just a link to vim which starts vim with the "-g" for gui switch. So when you install kvim you are just installing a bigger vim with more compiled in features. Of course, you won't be running kvim because you will not be running X11.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$258.00



pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$184.99



Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS picture

Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS

$49.99



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN

$229.99



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance

$155.75



Fortinet FortiGate 80E 12 Ports Firewall Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 80E 12 Ports Firewall Appliance

$20.25



OPNsense Firewall Router VMware Edge 640 Atom C3758 32GB ECC RAM 256GB SSD 10Gbe picture

OPNsense Firewall Router VMware Edge 640 Atom C3758 32GB ECC RAM 256GB SSD 10Gbe

$284.99



SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED picture

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED

$999.99