Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Poor mans Install and Persistant home

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    9

    Poor mans Install and Persistant home

    Hi All

    I have recently done a poor mans install of Knoppix 3.4 to my machine ( as I love the idea of an unbreakable system and that using a persistant home I can simply use klik to download progs and delete them as required with no probs)

    I have installed the cd image to hda1 and have made a persistant home on hda5, and save my config file also to hda5.

    the problem comes when I reboot, I am using the cheatcodes for home and conf but when I go to home directory it is empty, as though everything that I have saved has been saved to ramdisk and cleared when rebooting, even though I have created a particion as a persitant home HEEEEEEEEEEEEEEELP please

    Am I missiing something here !!!

    Can some one out there please please offer me some idea of where to look or what the problem may be. I have tried every thing that I can and have run out of ideas.

    I know my way around a linux system but am at a loss as to what is going on here.

    Many Thanks

    Jaykay

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Bellevue, WA
    Posts
    83
    The details vary depending on which PMI did you do. I use the Pivot Root Install for one PC, I will assume you use the regular installation.

    When you boot the system your shell default directory will be /ramdisk/home/knoppix instead of /home/knoppix. The latter one is your persistent one. Try using the command pwd to verify which is your default directory. Make sure than when you copy or installing anything in your home directory, you are working on the persistent one.

    When you re-boot, everything in the persistent /home/knoppix directory will be copied to the volatile /ramdisk/home/knoppix one. I don't know what happens when the contents in your home directory exceed your /ramdisk capacity.

    I hope this helps

    -GN

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    9
    For anyone reading this I have now solved this problem.

    If you are doing a basic poor mans install You MUST set the persistant home directory before you copy your CD knoppix image to the hard drive.
    Procedure as follows.

    1. boot up as normal from cd and set the persitant home Kmenu-knoppix-configure-create PH Directory

    2. Reboot and then use the "knoppix tohd=/dev/xxxx (where x is your PH location" cheatcode and let knoppix copy the image to HD.

    3. reboot, but I have found that you must specify the "fromhd" cheatcode BEFORE you specifiy the home=/dev/xxxx or home=scan cheat. now you should be up and running with your poor mans install, all you need to do now is save your configuration file for when you next reboot. using kmenu-knoppix-configure-create configuartion file

    Hope this may help some one at some point

  4. #4
    I've tried that and it works fine, but every time you logout, do you have to re-save your config and home for next boot?

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    9
    Mercury 4063

    No once you have set your persistant home, thats it, it will autosave your new items just like a hard drive particion in a standard os hard drive install. you will however have to resave your config file if you make any changes to your settings, desktop items etc.

    Hope that helps

    jim

Similar Threads

  1. Eloquent Poor-mans Install
    By Dr PC Tunes in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 12-26-2005, 08:29 AM
  2. poor mans install for knoppix 3.3
    By metavoid in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-07-2005, 08:40 AM
  3. Propblem: Poor Mans Install and persitent home on same parti
    By Ingo in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-18-2004, 08:38 PM
  4. Poor Mans Install WinPartition
    By guyana in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-15-2004, 02:10 AM
  5. Questions about a poor mans install
    By 00zero in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-20-2004, 09:33 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5

Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5" bay with 256GB (16x16gb) DDR3, 2x E5-2690v2, H710

$349.99



Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700 picture

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700

$289.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$378.93



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$248.00



Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM) picture

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)

$299.95



Dell PowerEdge R740 E38S001 Server E38S picture

Dell PowerEdge R740 E38S001 Server E38S

$660.00