In an attempt to cut the scream of my hdds, I tried disconnecting both ribbon cable and power cable from my hdds and booting with only cd-rom drives and Knoppix 3.3-2-19. Everything is detected without a problem, but ifconfig only shows the loopback info and netcardconfig fails the DHCP broadcast. lsmod has a zero to the right of the 3c59x module, which I assume means the module is unused.
Curiously, when I do nothing other than reconnect the ribbon cable and power cord to the hdd and boot back into Knoppix, lsmod shows a one where that zero was and ifconfig shows a successfully configured eth0 at int7. I'm a n00b, so I'm not sure what other info you need. Any ideas?
Thanks very much in advance.

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00
Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD
$23.00
Netac 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATA Solid State Drive lot PC Laptop
$250.00
Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99
Crucial MX500 250GB 2.5" SATA III SSD - Preowned
$29.00
2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00
Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive
$42.99
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$39.99
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...
$30.00