Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Samba broke? Newbie question

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    USA, West Coast
    Posts
    4

    Samba broke? Newbie question

    I installed Knoppix 3.3. Had it working with the excepton the windows box I wanted tp pull files from could not see knoppix, but knoppix could see the windows box? I found my Knoppix 3.4 CD, which blew away all of my settings when I upgraded (not a problem) But now when I configure samba. I can't see Windows but windows can see Knoppix???

    How do I fix it so I can use resources both ways? or is there a tool / SW Package I should be using instead of just plain Samba in Knoppix 3.4/3.6.

    Also I have already un-installed the samba, samba-client, smb, etc files and re-installed them via apt-get. I can still only use resources from windows to knoppix and not vice versa.

    And I have tried all of the mount -t ...... commands I have found on this forum.


    Thanks
    CII

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Have you checked out the SAMBA Documentation?
    The documentation (and in particular the man pages) given on this web page are taken from the latest development version of Samba. If you are using an earlier version of Samba then you may find some differences.

    The current Samba-3 release version of the Samba-HOWTO-Collection may be found here in PDF and HTML formats. Those wishing to obtain a hard copy of this document may do so by purchasing The Official Samba-3 HOWTO and Reference Guide.

    The current Samba-3 release version of the Samba-Guide may be found here in PDF and HTML formats. Those wishing to obtain a hard copy (which includes a CDROM with all Example files) may do so by purchasing Samba-3 by Example.
    That link up in that quote is in fact the electronic PDF copy of this book: Samba-3 by Example: Practical Exercises to Successful Deployment. See also Samba & SWAT, which is the Samba Web Admin Tool.

    As for the rest of your questions, they would get the most views & be best answered in the General Support forum as they are not specific to Knoppix Remastering.

    I hope this helps.
    James

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Bellevue, WA
    Posts
    83
    Samba behaviour varies greatly based on the Windows OS you are using, it's not the same for W9x, WinNT and XP.

    I also recommend you to check the LinNeighborhood included with Knoppix, it makes mounting and browsing Windows networks a breeze.

    My $.02
    -GN

Similar Threads

  1. NooB Question: Samba & Knoppix 3.9
    By jediagh in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-08-2005, 05:30 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-13-2005, 05:06 AM
  3. Newbie question?
    By boombastic in forum Laptops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-08-2004, 04:23 PM
  4. SAMBA Question/problem
    By tl1moss in forum Networking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-28-2003, 02:59 PM
  5. An easy newbie question - very newbie
    By Drago in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-21-2003, 10:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$381.93



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2144G 3.6GHz 16GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2144G 3.6GHz 16GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W

$149.00



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$169.99



Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server picture

Dell EMC VxRail E560F 10-SFF 2*Gold 6230R 2.1GHz No RAM HBA330 iDrac Ent Server

$349.99



NEW DELL TRUSTED PLATFORM MODULE TPM 2.0 POWEREDGE R730 R630 G13 SERVERS K98XH picture

NEW DELL TRUSTED PLATFORM MODULE TPM 2.0 POWEREDGE R730 R630 G13 SERVERS K98XH

$199.00