I've been having fun booting Knoppix off a 1Gb USB flash drive formatted as FAT16 using some of the helpful instructions scattered through the forums on booting with syslinux. It will boot quite happily with knoppix24. It boots but fails to find the root filesystem on the USB drive when using knoppix26.
I've tried various permutations of module loading and scanning in linuxrc to see if it was a timing problem, without any success. Any advice would be welcome
A second related question: I can't persuade the flash drive to boot when I include a
second partition to use as a persistent home. If anyone has a similar setup working
I'd be interested to hear how it was done.

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99
AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)
$175.00
Clear Touch Interactive Module CTI PCMOD PC55 ST i5 6core,8GB DDR4,256GB SSD NEW
$225.00
Apple Mac Pro Model A1481 Computer 8core Intel Xeon E5 64 GB Storage 500 G2U
$189.99
SRF8X Intel Xeon Gold 6240 18 Core 2.60GHz 24.75MB 150W Processor CPU
$19.99
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core 3.4GHz Socket AM4 CPU Processor….
$309.99
AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 16-Thread 5.6GHz 120W AM5 CPU 100-100001973WOF
$435.99
AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked
$69.99
Dell OptiPlex 3080 MT Intel Core i5-10500 3.10 GHz 8 GB DDR4 Desktop No HDD
$129.99
Apple Mac Mini M1 256GB SSD 8GB Unified RAM 8-Core GPU 2020 A2348
$499.00