Hello,
I created my own sarge-version (base-system + kde) that I copied to /mnt/knx/KNOPPIX. When I start my normal sarge and then chroot to /mnt/knx/KNOPPIX and type "startx", it works, but when I try the final myknoppix.iso-file with qemu, I get the message:
"modprobe: /lib/modules/2.4.27/module.dep: no such file".
It's quite normal because I started with 2.4.18-bf2.4 kernel from woody that I upgraded to sarge. I tried to install 2.4.27 kernel, but there are only kernels like 2.4.27-1-k7 or with other extensions.
Anyway I would like to install the latest 2.6 kernel. How can I tell Knoppix to use the kernel I want ? I did not understand how Knoppix manages the kernel. In /boot I only find vmlinuz, but no kernel-image, even after installing 2.4.27-1-k7.
thanks a lot for help
Klaus![]()

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026
$13.99
BOSGAME E4 Air Mini PC, AMD Ryzen 5 3500U 8GB DDR4 256GB SATA SSD
$169.99
OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$115.00
W&T 50519 Pure.box 3 USB Linux Thin Client Industrial PC Embedded Server
$135.00
All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive
$15.95
VA Linux 1120 1U Rackmount Server
$100.00
OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00
Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU
$649.00
SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA
$284.99
Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP
$299.00