Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: I cant write to hard disk

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3

    I cant write to hard disk

    I m kind of newbie in linux world

    I started to use knoppix this days and I having a problem that I cant write to my hard drives except to the knoppix temp folder (is this folder in hard disk realy or in memory ?!).
    First I thought that has to do something cause the drive are NTFS but I created small FAT32 partition and it doesn work on it too.
    I m trying to change acces permissions buta I cant change it. And those permission look ok infact. I change pass for admin and try to login as admin but when I logoff my screen is flickering a lot in console mode (out of kde due to the old bad monitor) so I cant manage to do anything useful then not even to login as root ?!
    Can anyone help me with some pointers on this one.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    Re: I cant write to hard disk

    Quote Originally Posted by cubrovic
    I m kind of newbie in linux world

    I started to use knoppix this days and I having a problem that I cant write to my hard drives except to the knoppix temp folder (is this folder in hard disk realy or in memory ?!).
    First I thought that has to do something cause the drive are NTFS but I created small FAT32 partition and it doesn work on it too.
    I m trying to change acces permissions buta I cant change it. And those permission look ok infact. I change pass for admin and try to login as admin but when I logoff my screen is flickering a lot in console mode (out of kde due to the old bad monitor) so I cant manage to do anything useful then not even to login as root ?!
    Can anyone help me with some pointers on this one.
    Try mounting the partitions manually:

    sudo mount -rw /dev/hdaX

    Don't try to write to your ntfs partitions unless you use 'captive ntfs', you will screw up the ntfs filesystems.

Similar Threads

  1. cant create /write to hard drives
    By husalah5150 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-22-2005, 12:32 AM
  2. how I can write on hard disk by knoppix 3.2 & NTFS
    By aydin in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-31-2004, 05:28 PM
  3. fat32 read/write on firewire disk
    By dieterw in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-14-2004, 06:27 PM
  4. I can't write on Hard disk!
    By aydin in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-11-2003, 05:50 AM
  5. Can't un-write protect anything on my hard drive
    By yukichigai in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-25-2003, 05:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p

$499.88



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD

$381.93



Dell Server Drive and 3.5

Dell Server Drive and 3.5" Cradle. 960GB SSD Enterprise

$300.00



Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2144G 3.6GHz 16GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W picture

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2144G 3.6GHz 16GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W

$149.00



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb

$374.99



Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W picture

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W

$409.99



Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO picture

Dell Poweredge R730xd 12LFF 2*2660v4 4*1Gbe h730 2x 750W Server CTO

$308.00



DELL POWEREDGE R340 Server | Xeon E-2126G 64GB RAM PERC H330 (Onboard) picture

DELL POWEREDGE R340 Server | Xeon E-2126G 64GB RAM PERC H330 (Onboard)

$399.95



Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD picture

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD

$169.99