Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: aRts: "device /dev/dsp can't be opened", possible

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    298

    aRts: "device /dev/dsp can't be opened", possible

    I did some research on my soundcard problem and via lsof | grep "dsp" (LiSt Open Files) I found out that "ogg123" is keeping my sound devices open. Killing ogg123, an ogg player similar to mpg123, doesn't help (ps -A | grep "ogg123" and kill - 9 {process numbers}).

    Now I get " can't start sound i/o" when running artsd or use the KDE configpanel.

    sudo lspci -v output:
    Code:
    00:02.7 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS7012 PCI Audio Accelerator (rev a0)
            Subsystem: C-Media Electronics Inc: Unknown device 0300
            Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 11
            I/O ports at dc00 [size=256]
            I/O ports at d800 [size=64]
            Capabilities: [48] Power Management version 2
    Apropriate dmesg output:
    Code:
    Intel 810 + AC97 Audio, version 0.21, 15:49:30 Mar 26 2003
    PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:02.7
    i810: SiS 7012 found at IO 0xd800 and 0xdc00, IRQ 11
    i810_audio: Audio Controller supports 2 channels.
    ac97_codec: AC97  codec, id: CMI65(Unknown)
    i810_audio: only 48Khz playback available.
    i810_audio: AC'97 codec 0 Unable to map surround DAC's (or DAC's not present), total channels = 2
    I'm pretty shure that my card is supported by the kernel (heck the dsp* devices exist) by the i810 module.

    [edit]Something 'fishy' I found out. Doing a modprobe -r i810 doesn't remove /KNOPPIX/dev/dsp* which it should do, isn't it? Could it be that some other driver gets his hands on the card first so i810 doesn't recognise it anymore? Changing the order the order modules are loaded could help then.

    Does anybody know more about this?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    298
    I've got my soundcard working, by unplugging my webcam. At the reboot wait screen I saw that my webcam, which has a microphone, was handled by the "audio" module. Is audio.o only able to handle one soundevice at a time? And...

    Why does it work in Knoppix 3.1 and not 3.2? Fixme?

    [edit]Plugin in the webcam afterwards keeps the soundcard as the standard audio device. I'll try to test if the webcam-mike still functions.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2
    I wonder if you have a logitech messenger webcam?

    I have, and I also have two ogg123 processes at the top of the charts.
    If I kill them, they don't stay dead either.

    Not a major problem, but rather ogg

    really, seeing as my soundcard (like yours) is broken (probably by the webcam, but I'm building a new iso right now so I'm not about to fiddle!)

    (Knoppix 3.3, MSI K7N2G, Logitech messenger)
    F

Similar Threads

  1. "Device Is Busy" when unmounting devices ARRRGH
    By sakiZ in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 12-30-2004, 10:34 AM
  2. Sound: "No such device" with Debian. It worked wit
    By gooz in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-23-2004, 09:11 PM
  3. "Formatting of failed" and "Opened disk read
    By shoka in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-16-2004, 09:45 AM
  4. cardmgr "SIOCSIFFLAGS: no such device" for laptop
    By kimanaw in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-10-2004, 12:52 AM
  5. Cant use CD rom device "not a valid block device"
    By YuXeL in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-08-2003, 01:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7

Yealink T48S VoIP/SIP Phone, 2 x Gigabit Ports PoE 7" Color SIP-T48S | TESTED

$34.95



Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019 picture

Poly CCX 400 Desktop Business Media Phone VoIP 2200-49700-019

$49.99



Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB picture

Grandstream VoIP Phone Adapter ATA 1-Line Black Ethernet (RJ-45) Micro USB

$27.07



Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone picture

Grandstream WP810 Portable Cordless Wi-Fi IP Phone

$49.28



Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply picture

Yealink SIP-T33G IP Phone 4-LineSpeakerphone VoIP Desk Phone Black w/ Power Sply

$25.00



Cisco / Linksys SPA2102 VoIP 2FXS Phone Adapter with Router (unlocked) picture

Cisco / Linksys SPA2102 VoIP 2FXS Phone Adapter with Router (unlocked)

$18.99



Cisco CP-8851-3PW-NA-K9 IP Phone MPP Multiplatform VoIP  4 New Open Box picture

Cisco CP-8851-3PW-NA-K9 IP Phone MPP Multiplatform VoIP 4 New Open Box

$74.99



Lot of 10 Yealink SIP-T43U 12-Line Gigabit IP VoIP Phones PoE Dual USB picture

Lot of 10 Yealink SIP-T43U 12-Line Gigabit IP VoIP Phones PoE Dual USB

$300.00



YEALINK T34W PHONE & 2 MONTHS OF PHONE SERVICE picture

YEALINK T34W PHONE & 2 MONTHS OF PHONE SERVICE

$65.00



Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included picture

Cisco CP-8841 IP Phone Charcoal Handset And Stand Included

$27.99