-
testing iso-image without burning cd
Hello,
can I test my remastered iso-image without burning a cdrom ? Qemu works, but it's very limited.
Is there a way to copy remastered KNOPPIX files to a partition and then boot on it just as on a cdrom, by a boot loader or from floppy ? I see my version of KNOPPIX working with Xnest, but I don't see the normal boot-process from cdrom and I can't really test that.
I only have an old cd-burner for cd-r and I cannot burn a new cd each time I want to test my work.
thanks for help
Klaus
-
Senior Member
registered user
You could try saving the /KNOPPIX folder to the root of a drive and booting with a normal knoppix cd with the command
knoppix fromhd=/dev/hdaX
-
Junior Member
registered user
Knoppix 3.4 and newer has a "bootfrom" cheat code for example "bootfrom=/dev/hda1/Knoppix.iso" the CD you use to boot from must have the same kernel version as the one you are trying to boot.I found this info in the "Knoppix Hacks" book by Kyle Rankin I recently purchased,well worth the money spent.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: testing iso-image without burning cd

Originally Posted by
colonius
Is there a way to copy remastered KNOPPIX files to a partition and then boot on it just as on a cdrom, by a boot loader or from floppy ? I see my version of KNOPPIX working with Xnest, but I don't see the normal boot-process from cdrom and I can't really test that.
I often boot the compressed KNOPPIX file from hdd. Simply put KNOPPIX and your kernel (and initrd if you use one) on the same partition and add an entry to your boot loader something like so:
Code:
title BH09 /dev/hda7
kernel (hd0,6)/boot/vmlinuz ramdisk_size=100000 init=/etc/init lang=us vga=791 nomce alsa xmodule=fbdev hdb=scsi
initrd (hd0,6)/boot/miniroot.gz
-
oh sorry my solution was alredy posted
Similar Threads
-
By uniflator in forum General Support
Replies: 6
Last Post: 07-14-2011, 02:19 PM
-
By usha panwar in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-10-2006, 06:50 PM
-
By BearCreek in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-31-2004, 05:33 PM
-
By William Denyer in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 10-09-2003, 02:33 AM
-
By astormchaser in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 2
Last Post: 06-22-2003, 12:20 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell EMC PowerEdge R740 8 Bay Server w/ 32GB RAM 2x GOLD 6132 2x 1600W PSU H730p
$499.88

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell Poweredge C4130 2x LGA2011-3 1U 4x GPU Rackmount Server CTO (NO CPU/NO RAM)
$299.95

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell PowerEdge C4130 1U AI GPU Server | 2x E5-2680 v3 | 32gb Ram | 2x 1600W
$409.99

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99

Dell PowerEdge R640 8xSFF Server Barebone 2 x Heat Sink w / 2x 1100W PSU
$315.00

Dell Poweredge R620 10x 2.5" bay with 256GB (16x16gb) DDR3, 2x E5-2690v2, H710
$349.99

Dell PowerEdge R740 E38S001 Server E38S
$660.00