Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16

Thread: Install Apps

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    13

    Install Apps

    I'd like to install the latest version of Firefox, but I don't want to use apt-get on m y HD install of Knopp because the versions listed (even when I apt-cache updated!) aren't the newest version.

    What directory should I expand the Firefox app in? I've done it in my user directory in the past but I really don't like that approach. Is /usr/bin best?

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Do you have unstable lines in /etc/apt/sources.list ?

    root@fujibox:/home/markus# apt-cache policy mozilla-firefox
    mozilla-firefox:
    Installed: (none)
    Candidate: 1.0-4
    Version Table:
    1.0-4 0
    990 ftp://ftp.fi.debian.org unstable/main Packages

    root@fujibox:/home/markus# apt-get install -t unstable mozilla-firefox -s
    Reading Package Lists... Done
    Building Dependency Tree... Done
    Suggested packages:
    mozilla-firefox-gnome-support
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
    mozilla-firefox
    0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 123 not upgraded.
    Inst mozilla-firefox (1.0-4 Debian:unstable)
    Conf mozilla-firefox (1.0-4 Debian:unstable)

    Or is there a newer version?

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    13

    I didn't add any

    I didn't add any unstable lines - are they there so I can just uncomment them? If not, any suggestions you may have on good servers would be great.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Kind of depends where you're located.

    For Germany:
    # deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
    # deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-free
    ## deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian unstable main contrib non-free
    ## deb-src http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-free

    Finland:
    deb ftp://ftp.fi.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free
    deb ftp://ftp.fi.debian.org/debian-non-US unstable/non-US main contrib non-free
    # deb-src ftp://ftp.fi.debian.org/debian/ unstable main

    You can use apt-spy to find a fast server near you. Me, I just chose ftp.fi since it's just a few km's from where I live.
    Or have a look at: http://www.debian.org/mirror/

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    Get firefox from their site.
    It comes with installer, so you don't have to compile it.


  6. #6
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    13

    Installer

    I saw that it came with an installer, but the installer seems to simply unpack everything wherever it's run. That's why I was wondering where I shoud put the installler before running it. Or have the changed the installer so now it installs elsehwere? I think my last try was 1.0 preview.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    13

    unstable mirrors

    Thanks for the links for the mirrors - I'll check those out!

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    Unpack it some temporary folder where you have access and install it to your home folder.
    Create a link on your desktop.
    If you want to uninstall it...just delete that firefox folder.


  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    13

    Okay in home folder?

    See that's the part I always wonder about: I have a copy of Firefox in a home folder once and wound up with a pretty significan memory leak related to playing flash movies. I thought the memory leak was the result of having installed an app in the home folder rather than elsewhere. Was I wrong then - is there nothing at all wrong with running applications from the home folder?

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY, USA
    Posts
    1,256
    I find it easier to download the *.deb I want from http://packages.debian.org and then use kpackage. I'm sick of apt-get breaking down on me!

    Regards,
    AJG

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. C KDE APPS and C apps printing unix commands
    By dvryknopper in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-31-2006, 05:56 AM
  2. some KDE apps
    By probono in forum Klik
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-20-2004, 08:01 AM
  3. NEWBIE QUESTION: HOW DO I INSTALL APPS IN KNOPPIX 3.4?
    By prodmaster in forum General Support
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 05-16-2004, 09:02 PM
  4. Not all apps transfered during HD install
    By Cyberzombie in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-08-2004, 06:55 PM
  5. running apps on the fly
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-17-2003, 12:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX picture

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX

$59.99



GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5 picture

GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5

$189.99



Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery picture

Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery

$54.99



⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠ picture

⁠Intel H81 Motherboard M.2 NVMe LGA 1150 mATX w/ IO Shield (Random Slot Color)⁠

$29.90



ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio picture

ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio

$34.99



GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard picture

GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard

$59.99



ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II AM4 AMD B550 ATX AMD Motherboard picture

ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS WIFI II AM4 AMD B550 ATX AMD Motherboard

$90.99



ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI  ATX RGB picture

ASUS PRIME Z370-A II LGA 1151 Intel Z370 DDR4 DIMM USB3.1 DVI ATX RGB

$69.99



ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield picture

ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield

$84.99



ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI picture

ASUS ROG STRIX X870E-E GAMING WIFI

$289.99