-
Junior Member
registered user
OK!
Okay - pulling down Firefox now from the unstable link there. This might be the easiest way! Thanks.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Dependencies, of course!
When I try to install Firefox it was missing two dependencies when I tried to install using dpkg -i. One of them could be installed, the other in turn depended on something else:
libpango needed libpango common.
BUT when I tried to dpkg libpango-common, it in turn needed libpango! I seem to recall that in my Red Hat days I could install two rpms symaltaneously to avoid this problem. Is there a similar concept with debian packages?
Edit: - I went ahead with apt-get and the mirrors I used must have upgrade the firefox, since they now had version 1.0! So I am all set. Thanks for the help. I would be curious re the answer to the above for future reference, however.
-

Originally Posted by
A. Jorge Garcia
I'm sick of apt-get breaking down on me!
*cough* kanotix *cough* 
After all, what's the point of running debian if you don't use apt which I think is it's best feature.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Install Apps

Originally Posted by
jeopardyracing
I'd like to install the latest version of Firefox, but I don't want to use apt-get on m y HD install of Knopp because the versions listed (even when I apt-cache updated!) aren't the newest version.
What directory should I expand the Firefox app in? I've done it in my user directory in the past but I really don't like that approach. Is /usr/bin best?
'apt-cache updated' you do mean apt-get update do you not? Check /etc/apt/sources.list , there should be at least one unstable mirror listed,
'apt-get -t unstable install firefox'
should get you the most recent version.

Originally Posted by
A. Jorge Garcia
I find it easier to download the *.deb I want from
http://packages.debian.org and then use kpackage. I'm sick of apt-get breaking down on me!
This is surprising, since kpackage uses apt to download then both kpackage and apt use dpkg to do the actual install. The advantage of using apt is that it downloads &/or updates dependencies. If you download then install the downloaded package with either kpackage or dpkg you must take care of dependencies manually.
Almost alway, if there is a problem with apt it is not apt's doing, it can usually be traced back to a broken package. This is why *cough* kanotix *cough* seems so much better, there are more broken /poorly installed packages in Knoppix. Like the missing file in frozen-bubble=data, etc.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Install Apps

Originally Posted by
CrashedAgain
This is surprising, since kpackage uses apt to download then both kpackage and apt use dpkg to do the actual install. The advantage of using apt is that it downloads &/or updates dependencies. If you download then install the downloaded package with either kpackage or dpkg you must take care of dependencies manually.
Almost alway, if there is a problem with apt it is not apt's doing, it can usually be traced back to a broken package. This is why *cough* kanotix *cough* seems so much better, there are more broken /poorly installed packages in Knoppix. Like the missing file in frozen-bubble=data, etc.
Acually kpackage is a frontend to apt-get, which is a front end to dpkg.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Re: Install Apps

Originally Posted by
firebyrd10
Acually kpackage is a frontend to apt-get, which is a front end to dpkg.
Sort of true. Dpkg won't do downloads. Apt does the download then callsl dpkg to do the actual install. Kpackage is a front end to apt but if it is installing an already downloaded package it skips the apt part & just calls dpkg to do the install. This is when you end up with the " unable to install package x; package x depends on package y but it is not going to be installed" errors because dpkg isn't capable of searching for packages.
Similar Threads
-
By dvryknopper in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-31-2006, 05:56 AM
-
Replies: 1
Last Post: 09-20-2004, 08:01 AM
-
By prodmaster in forum General Support
Replies: 9
Last Post: 05-16-2004, 09:02 PM
-
By Cyberzombie in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 4
Last Post: 02-08-2004, 06:55 PM
-
By A. Jorge Garcia in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 02-17-2003, 12:34 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5 GHz Processor
$39.00

INTEL CORE I7-870 SLBJG 2.93GHZ LGA1156 4 CORE CPU PROCESSOR
$23.00

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor
$175.00

(LOT OF 20) Intel Core i5-8400 CPU 2.80GHz Desktop Processor (SR3QT)
$700.00

AMD Ryzen 5 5500 Processor ( read Description)
$59.00

Intel Core i5-12500T SRL5W 2GHz 18MB 6 Core Socket LGA1700 Desktop CPU Processor
$114.99

Intel Core i7-9700 Octa-Core 3 GHz Desktop Processor LGA 1151
$79.99

Intel i7-8700 Coffee Lake 3.2GHz 6-Core Max Turbo 4.6GHz Processor
$67.99

INTEL CORE I9-10940X X-SERIES PROCESSOR | 3.30GHZ | SRGSH
$179.99

Intel Core I3-540 SLBTD 3.067GHz CPU Processor LGA1156
$13.00