-
Junior Member
registered user
Can't get proper network share permissions
Here is my problem: I can mount the Samba shares on my Mac (as server) on my HD-install Knoppix PC (client) fine, but no matter what I try, I seem to be unable to get dmask=777 and fmask=777 if I am mounting from a user account. Even when I modify FSTAB for the network shares, I only have full permissions to the Mac's shares if I am logged in as root.
I notice something interesting: on my Knoppix PC, my logon ID is 1000, while on the Mac it is 501. Knoppix seems to honor the Mac's permissions - in other words if "others" does not have read or write, neither do I coming over the network from Knoppix. As 1000, I don't get these permissions unless I change the permissions on the Macs directories (on the Mac itself, of course) to allow "Others" permissions. One version of my code for mounting the share (I have tried many!) is:
#!/bin/bash
smbmount //server/share /home/user/mnt/mac -o dmask=777,fmask=777
Ideas?
Similar Threads
-
By NuxIT in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 04-28-2006, 03:58 AM
-
By kurtz25 in forum Networking
Replies: 2
Last Post: 08-04-2004, 05:32 AM
-
By fabfab in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-03-2004, 05:01 PM
-
By Alex1 in forum General Support
Replies: 2
Last Post: 03-11-2003, 08:34 PM
-
By newbie123 in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-25-2002, 04:09 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1
$52.99

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE
$214.99

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive
$39.99

KingSpec SSD 2.5" SATA3 Internal Solid State Drive for PC,Laptop,Mac
$60.00

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.80

M.2 SATA SSD 2280 128GB 256GB 512GB major brands | Very Good health
$35.99

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99

128GB SSD M.2 PCIE NVME Solid State Drive Mix Brand Samsung, WD, SK Hynix Kioxia
$16.59

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$39.99

PNY Optima SSD Series 240GB SATA III 6 Gb/s Solid State Drive
$39.99