Try this entry for your fstab:
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,users,noexec,noauto 0 0
Then do ln -sf /dev/scd0 /dev/cdrom and mkdir /cdrom and create a new device for your desktop.
I have a Phillips CD/RW that doesn't show up on my hd install of knoppix 3.4
I feel it just needs to be set up by myself, and my question is how should I do this?
Here is my fstab
Obviously it is not set up in fstab.Code:# /etc/fstab: filesystem table. # # filesystem mountpoint type options dump pass /dev/hda1 / ext3 defaults,errors=remount-ro 0 1 #/dev/hda3 /home auto rw,auto,user,exec 0 0 /dev/hda3 /downloads auto rw,auto,user,exec 0 0 proc /proc proc defaults 0 0 /dev/fd0 /floppy vfat defaults,user,noauto,showexec,umask=022 0 0 usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbdevfs defaults 0 0 sysfs /sys sysfs defaults 0 0 /dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0 /dev/dvd /dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0 /dev/cdaudio /cdaudio iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0 # Added by KNOPPIX /dev/hda2 none swap defaults 0 0
Also, here is the output of dmesg|grep sc:
It appears that it shows up under the last line, sr0: scsi3-mmc...Code:root@box1:/home/jerry# dmesg|grep sc vesafb: scrolling: redraw kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter, errno = 2 kmod: failed to exec /sbin/modprobe -s -k scsi_hostadapter, errno = 2 hdc: attached ide-scsi driver. scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0 sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 16x/40x cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray sr0: CDROM not ready. Make sure there is a disc in the drive. sr0: CDROM not ready. Make sure there is a disc in the drive. sr0: CDROM not ready. Make sure there is a disc in the drive. sr0: CDROM not ready. Make sure there is a disc in the drive. sr0: CDROM not ready. Make sure there is a disc in the drive. scsi : 0 hosts left. hdc: attached ide-scsi driver. scsi0 : SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0 sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 16x/40x cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
Thanks for the help.
Jerry
Try this entry for your fstab:
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,users,noexec,noauto 0 0
Then do ln -sf /dev/scd0 /dev/cdrom and mkdir /cdrom and create a new device for your desktop.
I applogize, I should specify that I have a standard CDROM and a CDRW.
My CDROM works currently, the cdrom entry is in my fstab, and I have a directory of /cdrom.
When I typeMy CDROM door opens.eject cdrom
When I try to, I get the following:eject cdrw
I did try to follow your cue. I did ln -sf /dev/scd1 /cdrw and there was already a /cdrw directory, to no avail.root@box1:/# eject cdrw
eject: unable to open `/dev/scd1'
root@box1:/#
Any further ideas??
Thanks
It should be /dev/cdrom1 if it is just another cdrom drive. If it is a dvd rom then it is /dev/dvd.
A second cdrom drive will probably be cdrom1, hence: ln -sf /dev/scd1 /dev/cdrom1. Then modify the fstab to cdrom1 instead of cdrom. If, according to your fstab, then it should be a dvd drive, correct? Then do: ln -sf /dev/scd1 /dev/dvd.
/dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
/dev/dvd /dvd iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0
I did ln -sf /dev/scd1 /cdrw and there was already a /cdrw directory, to no avail...Is the incorect entry anyway because you forgot the /dev before /cdrw. How many physical cd drives do you have? To me it looks like 2 from your fstab.

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡
$109.99
Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P
$149.99
JUNIPER NETWORKS MIST AI AP63-US HIGH PERFORMANCE OUTDOOR ACCESS POINT - WHITE
$59.99
Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port PoE Gigabit Switch (Renewed)
$361.91
Juniper AP47 Mist Wi-Fi 7 802.11 6GHz 4x4 Wireless Access Point (NEW)
$999.99
Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch
$79.99
Juniper EX4300-48T-AFO 48-Port 10/100/1000Base-T Switch+ Dual PSU w/EX-UM-4X4SFP
$49.99
Juniper Networks MX204-HW-BASE *BRAND NEW FACTORY SEALED* READ DETAILS
$8199.99
Juniper EX2300 Unclaimed 12-Port Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12T
$249.99
Juniper Networks SRX220 8-Port Gigabit Layer 3 Managed Rackmount RJ-45 USB
$285.00