Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: have win4lin...where-did-it-go?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    70

    have win4lin...where-did-it-go?

    Hey all,

    I feel pretty dumb asking this but would feel dumber not knowing the answer. I bought a computer and assorted disks from a friend and it had fc2 on it. I wrote zeros to the drive and installed knoppix 3.6 and went through some of the software provided with it. It was all obviously burned from original and one of the copies was win4lin. It installed without a hitch but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to open it . except for the various folders, there is no trace of it.I have been thru every folder on this computer and I cant find a shortcut or executable. Does anyone here have any experience with win4lin?

    thanx

    helios

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    Hi,

    win4lin needs a patched kernel, which Knoppix doesn't have afaik.
    So in order to use win4lin, you would have to ask the manufacturer for a Knoppix kernel or to recompile the kernel yourself.

    Greetings,
    probono

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    70

    danke

    I dug around and figured it out...the fine people at netraverse told me I was pretty much out of luck...No, they are because I got my money back...no hassles, no arguements. they were good abouty giving me a refund. are you familiar with VMware? I have heard good and bad about it...mostly that it is very complex and slow? What do you think?

    thanks

    helios

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    VMware: similar issues there since it requires kernel modules to be compiled specifically for Knoppix. If you want to do that, it should work, but if you don't want to compile, then it won't.

    Greetings,
    probono

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    70

    thanx again

    i appreciate your time probono...looks like crossover office will do the heavy lifting for the few M$ apps I run.

    helios

Similar Threads

  1. Win4Lin
    By jackren in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-05-2003, 01:41 PM
  2. Win4Lin
    By tbobz in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-21-2003, 01:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$60.00



External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$19.99



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$545.25



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$330.73



1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive picture

1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive

$86.95



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1746.47



External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A picture

External Solid State Drive USB 3.2 Gen2, 1TB SSD External Hard Drive with C to A

$100.00



Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5

Seagate Desktop 1TB/1000GB SATA 3.5" HDD Hard Drive

$29.99