Hi,
win4lin needs a patched kernel, which Knoppix doesn't have afaik.
So in order to use win4lin, you would have to ask the manufacturer for a Knoppix kernel or to recompile the kernel yourself.
Greetings,
probono
Hey all,
I feel pretty dumb asking this but would feel dumber not knowing the answer.I bought a computer and assorted disks from a friend and it had fc2 on it. I wrote zeros to the drive and installed knoppix 3.6 and went through some of the software provided with it. It was all obviously burned from original and one of the copies was win4lin. It installed without a hitch but I cannot for the life of me figure out how to open it
![]()
![]()
. except for the various folders, there is no trace of it.I have been thru every folder on this computer and I cant find a shortcut or executable. Does anyone here have any experience with win4lin?
thanx
helios
Hi,
win4lin needs a patched kernel, which Knoppix doesn't have afaik.
So in order to use win4lin, you would have to ask the manufacturer for a Knoppix kernel or to recompile the kernel yourself.
Greetings,
probono
I dug around and figured it out...the fine people at netraverse told me I was pretty much out of luck...No, they are because I got my money back...no hassles, no arguements. they were good abouty giving me a refund. are you familiar with VMware? I have heard good and bad about it...mostly that it is very complex and slow? What do you think?
thanks
helios
VMware: similar issues there since it requires kernel modules to be compiled specifically for Knoppix. If you want to do that, it should work, but if you don't want to compile, then it won't.
Greetings,
probono
i appreciate your time probono...looks like crossover office will do the heavy lifting for the few M$ apps I run.
helios

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99
Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00
IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99
IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99
Compaq ProLiant 1500R 5/100 rack server, Series 3155, with IBM 2.1GB HD, VINTAGE
$295.00
IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30
IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99
IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS
$80.00
Rare Vintage IBM 93ZZ PowerPC Server Board - MCM Ceramic CPU - 40N1844 - 1.1 lbs
$49.99
IBM 7014-T00 Enterprise 19" Rack Enclosure No Keys
$549.95