Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Wrong hardware detection: connecting the HD to an other pc

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    58

    Wrong hardware detection: connecting the HD to an other pc

    Hey!! I allready started a topic "Error message: Can't find KNOPPIX filesystem" in the General forum but if I will not be able to make it on that way.(I can only do this on Friday) I will have to try an other solution:
    I've connected an old HD to my own pc, where knoppix runs fine. So I were able to "HD-install" knoppix on that old HD.
    Now I connected that HD to an very old PC. (I could not boot knoppix from CD there. Watch my first topic) The Problem is: the knoppix does not detects the hardware from the old pc. It uses the old configuration from the pc, where I installed it, instead. For exmaple it says, that an GeForce VGA is there and sets the graphics driver to "nv" . But that's not the only wrong detected hardware I have (Monitor refresh rates, network adapter, sound card, fstab file, and so on). Help!! What am I doing wrong?? Any Ideas what to do next??

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Depending on how you installed it, knoppiw should do some hardware detections.
    But from the sounds of it you took the all Debain path.

    Rather then going thourgh and changing everything, it might be easier to just reinstall. That way the settings will be tailored to that PC.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    62
    "Depending on how you installed it, knoppix should do some hardware detections.
    But from the sounds of it you took the all Debain path."

    My impression is that even in the "Beginner" (not sure about "Knoppix-style", haven't ever done that one) install it doesn't do the full hardware detection at subsequent boots after installation. It does not seem to alter existing /etc/modules and /etc/modules-(kernel version) files or /etc/X11/XF86Config and /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 files. But if you delete them, it will re-run autodetection.

    That is, of course if it isn't a "Debian-style" install which doesn't do hardware autodetection.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    58
    Quote Originally Posted by firebyrd10
    just reinstall
    I can't. I get an error message about missing filesystem when try to boot from the CD

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Kansas City, MO
    Posts
    62
    Which kind of install did you do? (Or which version of Knoppix? If 3.3 or earlier, the install without hardware detection seems to have been the only option.) You say you can't do a reinstall, but can you do one by moving the hard drive like you originally did--and making sure this time you install so it will autodetect?

    With the "Beginner" install, deleting the files I mentioned definitely works. I imaged several PCs using Symantec Ghost--so the detected hardware was as on the original system, and I couldn't get X Windows to work. Deleting those files and rebooting allowed me to get a GUI. If you are booting but not getting a GUI but not reverting back to command line, you can get a console by typing "linux 2" at the boot menu screen or <ctrl> + <alt> + F1 once it has booted should get you another terminal. Then you can delete them.

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    /dev/null
    Posts
    58
    I installed 3.6 and selected Beginner

Similar Threads

  1. Kernel and hardware detection
    By s-r-b in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-25-2006, 12:47 AM
  2. Hardware Detection question
    By obsoleto in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-04-2004, 05:11 PM
  3. Hardware detection
    By jcostello in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-24-2004, 01:33 AM
  4. Add special hardware to the hardware detection on boot
    By Danmak in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-01-2003, 03:40 AM
  5. Hardware Detection
    By staverts in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-28-2003, 06:48 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot picture

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot

$285.90



TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot picture

TF/SD Card Adapter Camera Reader Android Type-c For iPhone17 Pro Max Plusm lot

$288.19



Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive picture

Windows 11 Pro Install/Recovery/Repair USB Flash Drive

$35.00



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$202.50



USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM  M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q picture

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q

$169.00



USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot picture

USB 3.0 Micro SD SDHC TF Card Reader Memory Adapter for PC Laptop Camera lot

$3.75



Sandisk 16GB 32GB 64GB 128GB Cruzer Blade Flash Drive Memory Stick USB Lot Pack picture

Sandisk 16GB 32GB 64GB 128GB Cruzer Blade Flash Drive Memory Stick USB Lot Pack

$88.90



Memory Card Reader Mini 26-IN-1 USB 2.0 High Speed For CF xD SD MS SDHC picture

Memory Card Reader Mini 26-IN-1 USB 2.0 High Speed For CF xD SD MS SDHC

$4.95



Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11 picture

Microsoft Office 2021 Pro Plus USB for 1PC Windows 10 & 11

$62.55