I am not an expert on this and would also like to know the answer. But I remember reading somewhere that the experts use some sort of system that orders the files on the disk in the most efficient way.
It seems like I'm having trouble getting the size of the compressed filesystem down to what it should be. For instance, when I try to compress the files from Damn Small Linux, they turn out to be almost a megabyte larger than the original compressed filesystem was. That is without adding, subtracting, or modifying any of them.
I used the instructions from the KNOPPIX Remastering Howto as posted on this forum awhile back.
What am I doing wrong?
I am not an expert on this and would also like to know the answer. But I remember reading somewhere that the experts use some sort of system that orders the files on the disk in the most efficient way.
I have read that, but from what I understand that deals with the access time of the disc, not the size of the filesystem itself.

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00
pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99
OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$258.00
SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED
$999.99
Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F Firewall Tested Reset Deregistered OEM PSU
$99.99
Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance
$155.75
Firewalla Gold Pro 10GbE Firewall Router with Rack Mount Ears and USB Key
$829.99
Firewalla Gold Pro - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall
$693.00
Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed
$202.50
Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet
$147.00