-
problems booting
alright, im here, obviously, because i dont know as much about linux as i definitley should being a computer science major. Due to limited hard drive space (being a study abroad student i could only bring a laptop, my real machine is back home in the states), knoppix seemed like the way to go.
However, when i put the cd and go to boot knoppix it goes like this:
boot: knoppix
scanning for USB/firewire devices ... Done.
Enabling DMA acceleration for: hda [toshiba MK6021GAS]
Enabling DMA acceleration for: hdc [SD-R2512]
Looking for CDROM in: /dev/scd0
then it freezes, it never makes it past that point.
if i boot: failsafe, it will load into knoppix, then about a minute into it the whole OS freezes.
I've downloaded it twice (thinking it may have been a bad download the first time around), and made about 5 cds of it, but same problem no matter what. If anyone can provide any help, I would greatly appreciate it.
-
i got it working thanks to someone in another part of the forum, thanks to anyone who took the time to read this though.
-
Was it a bad CD or what was it?
Good that you managed. I had just finished reading your question when I saw that
you are up and running now. Congratulations.
What happened?
/Donald
-
it apparently didn't like dms at all. Booting knoppix nodms makes everything work fine, well the bare minimums anyway. Im working on getting sound to work now
-
Sound
Thanks for the NODMS (shouldn't it be NODMA?) tip.
Regarding SOUND:
I used the KDE control center to get sound up and running; at first
it was shut off, and I chose "sound system"->enable
"Test" worked, but when I tried to play the KDE-sounds, nothing
happened.
I then chose external sound player, and found that the "artsplay"
program was one which worked (I had an inkling from other
installations, though!)
Then it seemed that two sound systems were competing. At
one time I had to disable/enable again in order to get it to work
again.
Normally I run Gentoo and I have arduously installed the ALSA
sound system. The new 2.6.7 series should be easier to deal with
as the alsa sound system is default and included in the kernel.
/Regards
-
yes its nodma, typo i suppose.
i plan on spending a better portion of today working on resolving the sound issue, ill let you guys know how it works out.
Similar Threads
-
By jtsymbo in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 2
Last Post: 01-23-2006, 01:08 AM
-
By rocked18 in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 12-23-2005, 06:44 PM
-
By Chthonic Miasma in forum Knoppix DVD
Replies: 17
Last Post: 06-30-2005, 05:46 AM
-
By Castershell in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 1
Last Post: 10-18-2004, 04:16 PM
-
By faricazy in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-07-2004, 05:14 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Protectli Vault FW4C 4 Port Firewall Mini PC 8GB 120GB SSD
$300.00

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN
$184.99

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN
$258.00

Fortinet FortiGate FG-40F Network Security Firewall NO RACK EARS
$49.99

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN
$145.00

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance
$155.75

Palo Alto PA-440 Next Generation Firewall 8 x 1GE Ports W/ Power Adaptor
$250.00

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC
$175.00

Cisco Firepower 1000 Series FPR-1150 ASA Firewall Security Appliance w/240GB SSD
$999.99

NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX
$69.99